"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE50 Jukebox Questions

Started by ntophones, January 16, 2010, 02:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntophones

Hello,
I am working on an AE50"B" jukebox. My phone was used on a ship. Stub, I know you have some.

When putting the cover back on, I'm finding it pretty hard. It wants to hang or something. I don't want to force it.
How is it getting the cover back on for those of you that have an AE50 phone?
Thanks,
nto
--nto

LarryInMichigan

nto,

I assume that the hook switch plunger has been removed before you try to put on the cover.  The only issue that I found with mine is making sure that the dial fits through the opening first, and then the cover fits easily.  If the bracket holding the dial is slightly bent or out of position, the dial may not fit through the opening easily.

Larry

ntophones

Maybe that's it. The plunger is not on. It just seems to be binding somewhere. THanks.

Well, finally got it on. I think the wires inside were on the wrong side of the cover screw, causing it to miss a little and hang up. I also bent the dial holder up a little. That helped, too.

So, here it is for a bit. I want to get it hung up soon, after I do the wire holders.
--nto

LarryInMichigan

You sure fixed it up quickly, and it looks great :).

Larry

ntophones

Got some more to go on it...I'm going to fix some wires for the holder, since it used to be on a ship. Also, I went ahead and ordered some brass trims for the handset.
But, I may polish some more on the case-I'm not that pleased with it. I'm toying with trying Skin So Soft, based on Kidphones' results.
--nto

Dan

You'll love the chrome rings, it will give it a "complete" look. I love mine, it is my main basement phone.

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

ntophones

Well, I love the chrome! Yours looks spectacular! My AE40 has chrome trim and I love it.
Unfortunately, my AE50 has brass, since it is a Navy phone. So, I'm going to see how I really like it. If I don't like it that much, I may go for a different phone to use as a wall phone, and decide what I'll do with this phone.
I'm glad you like your phone. I was ambivalent about this one.....but, yours looks great.

How did you hang it? You have some sort of plate behind it, it looks like.
--nto

LarryInMichigan

If someone knows of a place to get a receiver cap with a chrome band for cheap, please let me know.  My AE50 handset has the chrome band on the transmitter cap but not the receiver.  I don't really want to pay $35 for one, and Steve Hilsz did not have any.

Larry

ntophones

Unfortunately, I don't know of any place but OPW, which is probably where you are looking.
--nto

Phonesrfun

Larry:

They come up on e-Bay every once in a while, but not often.  I got a pair off e-bay about two years ago for my jukebox.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

Dan

Quote from: ntophones on January 17, 2010, 04:46:48 PM
Well, I love the chrome! Yours looks spectacular! My AE40 has chrome trim and I love it.
Unfortunately, my AE50 has brass, since it is a Navy phone. So, I'm going to see how I really like it. If I don't like it that much, I may go for a different phone to use as a wall phone, and decide what I'll do with this phone.
I'm glad you like your phone. I was ambivalent about this one.....but, yours looks great.

How did you hang it? You have some sort of plate behind it, it looks like.

I had a little piece of wood and made a paper template and marked on the wood off the template where the holes on the back of the phone are. I then drilled holes in the wood through the back for long bolts to fit through to hang it on. You dont have to really screw in the back if you have enough bolts and snugness. You can make the bolts tighter with some electrical tape, but I did use a washer and hex nut on two to lock it on better. It's not hard to hang, just took a little thinking...
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan

I would love to have brass on mine! Mine had a straight cord. They have quite a pretty ring and guests in my basement gameroom  can't believe it is a working phone because of it's art deco horizontal cradle design (it looks almost too ornamental!).

HobieSport

I haven't worked on my AE50 yet, but they are in my top ten favorite phones, and are the first design that I saw as a newbie on Ebay just over a year ago that made my eyes pop out, my heart go flippity-flop and me mutter "I gotta get one of those!"

I finally found one in good shape for a decent price at $40.  It came with a chrome dial also, but no chrome caps. I found a pair of chrome caps on Ebay, but they were $35. for the two.

As for the brass bands and dials (Navy type), I think they are even more classy and elegant than the chrome. I love all the Navy and Signal Corps phones in general, but to me, "brass" really "speaks class". :)
-Matt

slantsixdan

Quote from: ntophones on January 17, 2010, 06:50:06 PM
Unfortunately, I don't know of any place but OPW, which is probably where you are looking.

What is this OPW of which you speak? Got a link?

Dennis Markham

OPW = Oldphoneworks........

www.oldphoneworks.com

Welcome to the Forum.