News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cord / Color Restoration

Started by Jester, June 11, 2009, 07:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

This is going to seem out of place because of the polished 500 in the middle of all the shots, but there is a cord dilemma in here--I promise!  I was cleaning up this red 500 and ran into a common problem on sets with dark gray cords--the mounting cord was missing! :o  Just so happened, though, that Cliff Sullivan(seller name "celnout") had a NOS gray cord made by S-C on ebay, and I managed to win it.  As it was 13' long, I decided to cut it down & make two out of one(I needed two anyway).  You'll notice the color is still lighter than the handset cord but, until I find the right shade of vinyl dye or a trunk full of NOS gray mounting cords, this is better than what I started with.  The cord diameter is right, & the WECO restraints & spade tips I salvaged from dead cords lend an Air of authenticity to the whole job.  I just need a couple more 283B plugs with the brown covers to put on the ends.
Stephen

Dennis Markham

It does look a bit shiner but it looks very good.  That was a good idea to cut it down to make two.  Cliff is a nice guy.  He used to have a lot more cords for sale.  I have bought a bunch of stuff from him.  A great guy to deal with.  That is a great looking phone Stephen.

Jester

Thanks, Dennis.  This one originally came with the straight gray cords I used on the Black Dial 500.  I decided to "mix-n-match" in order to display as many unique features that I could using as few phones as possible.  As big as my showcase is, I've already filled it.
Stephen

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Jester on December 01, 2009, 12:00:59 AM
The electrical tape is for both insulation & space savings. 

Jester;
Might I suggest using shrink tubing instead of tape.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Jester on January 09, 2010, 03:22:12 PM
Just so happened, though, that Cliff Sullivan(seller name "celnout") had a NOS gray cord made by S-C on ebay,

I have bought stuff from Cliff years before ebay, He used to be a regular at the ATCA Spring show. He is great guy to work with. I think his handle is pronouced Sellin-out. I have boughts lots of his items thru Ebay.

I would suggest e-baying him your wants.  He would probably compile a want list. and advise you when it is offered. I beleive he still has lot's of Stuff.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jester

Thanks for the suggestion, Jim.  He regularly sends a business card with the items he ships, & I've been meaning to call him about some special needs I have.  I, too, have bought a few things from Cliff, & will continue to do so.
Stephen

Dennis Markham

Many times in the past I just sent him an e-mail telling him what I was looking for (Cliff Sullivan) and he would reply and we'd make a deal.  No eBay involved.  Better for each party....lower price, no eBay fees.  But it's been a year or more since I bought anything from him.

jsowers

I've gotten several things from Cliff too and he's always been great to deal with. I noticed that gray cord too, but didn't bid. I was wondering how it would look next to a dark gray cord, so I'm glad you posted those pictures. It will do nicely until (if ever) the real thing comes along. You are so right about those phones not having the mounting cords. They're the first thing to go.

I have a dark blue 500 with a 15' dark gray cord and the spades cut off on the wall end and I'm planning to do the same thing. As long as I'm not cutting a perfect original cable in half, I don't see the harm.

There's a seller who has spades just like the ones WE used and he sells them often in the telephone category, but of course I can't find them at all now that I want to. I think it's like 20 or 30 at a time. They work great for me.
Jonathan

Jester

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 09, 2010, 03:48:35 PM
Quote from: Jester on December 01, 2009, 12:00:59 AM
The electrical tape is for both insulation & space savings. 

Jester;
Might I suggest using shrink tubing instead of tape.
D/P

Thanks, D/P.  My first thought was to do that, but I couldn't lay my hands on the stash of shrink tube that I keep around here & I let myself get antsy.  I will go back & change it at some point.  My first introduction to this wonderful stuff was from my dad.  I had a rubber receiver cord on an old dial stick that was losing the rubber cover.  I was able to remove all the flaking particles off the flaxen wrap, but didn't know how I was going to restore the original look.  Then dad came home from work one day with a 3' length of shrink tube.  It's a little stiffer than the original rubber, but it still looks good even 25 years after the fact.
Stephen

bwanna

could you please educate the less informed members (me) on shrink tubing.....thank you.

ps nice work, stephen :D
donna

Dan

I also want to know about shrink tubing. (thanks Donna)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

teka-bb

=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

Jester

Thank you for posting those, Remco--a picture IS worth a thousand words.

The first example shows a shrink tube that is WAY bigger than any that you would use in our hobby, but the theories & procedures would be the same.  You can also use an open flame for your heat source, but the downside is having to remove the soot from the finished product.  I have not found any candle or lighter with enough BTU's to cause this stuff to melt or burn--it just SHRINKS.
Stephen

Jim Stettler

You can buy shrink tube at radio shack and electronics supply houses. It will probably look better if you shrink it with a hair dryer vs a flame. Sometimes using a flame can distort the wrap,

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

bwanna

thank you for the links, remco. that stuff looks pretty cool....

soooo...MAPP gas would probably be too hot ???..lol
donna