"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How do I take apart and correctly re assemble 5H dial

Started by WesternElectricBen, May 11, 2013, 10:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hey Guys,

I got a beautiful 302, well it wasn't until I used car polish... Though the dial doesn't go back, first the governor wasn't in correctly and now I' not sure how much tension to put on it. Maybe these pictures might help

Thank you!
Ben

WesternElectricBen

I now cleaned the gears off with a tooth brush and just look nicer...

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Gilas

Jorge,

From someone that has used several of your albums to fix issues THANK YOU for doing that.

Mike

WesternElectricBen

I have a question now, how should the paw act? Should it pulsate just when the dial is being wound up to dial a didget or when it has been let go or both? Thank you!

JorgeAmely

I think it pulsates both ways. See the caption on picture #5.
Jorge

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Gilas on May 12, 2013, 01:01:26 AM
Jorge,

From someone that has used several of your albums to fix issues THANK YOU for doing that.

Mike

If there is something you would like me to add to the albums, feel free to ask.
Jorge

Phonesrfun

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on May 12, 2013, 10:08:01 AM
I have a question now, how should the paw act? Should it pulsate just when the dial is being wound up to dial a didget or when it has been let go or both? Thank you!

While the pawl might move slightly during wind-up, the movement should not be enough to pulse the contacts.  The slight movement is due to the ratchet-like construction.

The only time the pulse contacts should be actually opening and closing is as the dial is winding down.
-Bill G

Kenton K

I have disassembled multiple 5H dials and I like them the best of all western electric dials. They are easy to clean and can be very smooth.

Referring to how much tension to put on the spring. I usually wind it one revolution. And then I test to see if it returns evenly. If it doesn't go evenly, I usually wind it another quarter turn.

If it returns to slow, i adjust the governor spring. You do not need to disassemble the dial for that, you can adjust it from the rear.

I like to also remove the dial from the telephone and completely disassemble it. But that may not be necessary for your dial. 

I hope this helps!

WesternElectricBen

Can I have some help on what to do when I rebuilt my dial and it no longer dials out? Thank you!
Ben

Phonesrfun

Unfortunately trying to talk someone through the rebuild process using forum posts or e-mails and the back and forth of "Have you tried this", and Have you tried that", especially with ten people trying to add assistance, would be like trying to teach someone to land a Boeing 747 for the first time from the control tower.

Fortunately, there is a great resource by the name of Steve Hilsz.  He professionally rebuilds all dials for a very reasonable price, and most of us have sent our dials off to him to rebuild.  You can do a search from the highest level of this forum for Steve Hilsz and see all the great reviews he has received.  Particularly, you might look at this thread:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4385.0

His web site is www.navysalvage.com
His page on that site for dial repair is http://navysalvage.com/dialrepair.html

His price is $6.00 per dial (plus postage), so you can't go wrong.
-Bill G

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Phonesrfun on May 19, 2013, 01:12:29 PM
Unfortunately trying to talk someone through the rebuild process using forum posts or e-mails and the back and forth of "Have you tried this", and Have you tried that", especially with ten people trying to add assistance, would be like trying to teach someone to land a Boeing 747 for the first time from the control tower.

Fortunately, there is a great resource by the name of Steve Hilsz.  He professionally rebuilds all dials for a very reasonable price, and most of us have sent our dials off to him to rebuild.  You can do a search from the highest level of this forum for Steve Hilsz and see all the great reviews he has received.  Particularly, you might look at this thread:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4385.0

His web site is www.navysalvage.com
His page on that site for dial repair is http://navysalvage.com/dialrepair.html

His price is $6.00 per dial (plus postage), so you can't go wrong.

Ok, I just sent him a dial. He is really nice! Maybe I could ask him because like he said the shipping from my house it his company is unbelievable!
Ben

TelePlay

Well, another thing you could try, Ben, is to visually and electrically compare the non-working dial to an identical working dial, if you have one, to see what may be wrong with the non-working one. It might be something as simple as pawl position, for example, and using a continuity meter on the various terminals of each dial to compare "circuitry" during dial operation may help you figure out what's not right. If that doesn't work out, as Bill said, there is always Steve Hilsz as the final backup.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: TelePlay on May 19, 2013, 02:22:05 PM
Well, another thing you could try, Ben, is to visually and electrically compare the non-working dial to an identical working dial, if you have one, to see what may be wrong with the non-working one. It might be something as simple as pawl position, for example, and using a continuity meter on the various terminals of each dial to compare "circuitry" during dial operation may help you figure out what's not right. If that doesn't work out, as Bill said, there is always Steve Hilsz as the final backup.

Oh, yes... I feel kind of stupid now. I'l be back!

Ben