News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is there a way to make a 306 ring?

Started by newskeeto, August 08, 2013, 11:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

I do have a 616, and I have tried it on that too.  Since it is also at 24 volts, I kind of concluded it was a voltage issue.  I have made absolutely sure to get the wiring right and I have tried all the other combinations too.  When it is wired right, I only get a little excitement out of the ringer.  I have also wondered if the cold cathode tube has gone "flat", but I don't have another to play with, and I have not had any experience with one that works, so I don't have that "sense" as to whether 24 volts should work or not.

So, just for the record, I have cautioned others here not to jump to conclusions, I may be guilty of the same thing.  :)

Modified to include:

Maybe I'll dust it off and try again tonight.
-Bill G

poplar1

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 03, 2013, 08:00:29 PM
I do have a 616, and I have tried it on that too.  Since it is also at 24 volts, I kind of concluded it was a voltage issue.  I have made absolutely sure to get the wiring right and I have tried all the other combinations too.  When it is wired right, I only get a little excitement out of the ringer.  I have also wondered if the cold cathode tube has gone "flat", but I don't have another to play with, and I have not had any experience with one that works, so I don't have that "sense" as to whether 24 volts should work or not.

So, just for the record, I have cautioned others here not to jump to conclusions, I may be guilty of the same thing.  :)

Modified to include:

Maybe I'll dust it off and try again tonight.

Per Panasonic Specification,
Stations are -26 Volts DC, but ringing is 90 Volts AC @ 20 HZ "depends on ringing load."

I don't know whether these phones with tubes should work at all even on a landline. But apparently others have succeeded in getting them to work. Personally, I think I would just use a capacitor because if the tube burns out, I don't know if I could find another source for them. 
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: poplar1 on November 03, 2013, 08:21:13 PM
Per Panasonic Specification,
Stations are -26 Volts DC, but ringing is 90 Volts AC @ 20 HZ "depends on ringing load."

I don't know whether these phones with tubes should work at all even on a landline. But apparently others have succeeded in getting them to work. Personally, I think I would just use a capacitor because if the tube burns out, I don't know if I could find another source for them. 

Absolutely.  A capacitor is the best and easiest solution, especially since the tubes are scarcer than hen's teeth.  It just becomes something to play with and know about.  I'm going to give it one more try.

-Bill G

Phonesrfun

OK, the 501 does ring pretty well.  I modified the diagram Kenny C posted to be the same for the 501, and using the Panasonic I get a pretty decent ring out of the Panasonic 616.

Here is the wiring I used, which is functionally the same as the 306 shown in that diagram.

Line cord Red    
Ringer Red        
Tube Red      All three Red wires to L2 on the 425 A network (Remember this is an early 501A/B I am using)

Line Green
Tube Yellow  Both these wires to L1

Tube Black
Ringer Black   Both Black wires to K as a tie point

Ringer Slate
Ringer Slate/Red   Both to terminal E on the 425A Network.  This is also a tie point that ties the split windings of the C4 ringer together to make the equivalent of a 2-wire ringer as with the 306

In this case it is important to note that the way it was connected to the Panasonic, the red is positive, and the green is negative.  That is important, because this form of selective ringing is by design polarity sensitive.  Reversing the red and green leads did, in fact, cause it not to ring.  Anyone connecting this circuit needs to be sure to get the polarity correct.

So here's the deal in connecting these whether a 306 or 500 this should work:

Red tube to the positive side of the line
Yellow tube to the negative side of the line
One ringer wire to the positive side of the line above.  Connect the red ringer wire to avoid confusion
Black ringer wire to the black tube wire, using terminal K as a tie point

-Bill G

JorgeAmely

David:

Will this help?

https://picasaweb.google.com/108755568773115900755/WesternElectric501PhoneWithA426ATube#

The tube is basically a synchronous diode, so in order for it to operate, the cathode (-) and anode (+) need to be pointed to the correct side of the power supply (in this case, tip or ring assuming proper polarity conventions). The red wire of the tube allows it to do rectification on command. Since you want it on when the ringer rings, you want to connect it to a DC positive source, such as the anode indicated above.

This tube goes in series with the ringing capacitor and ringer that typically is connected across L1 and L2. Back in the day of party lines, the central office found many clever ways of connecting ringers and tubes in various polarity arrangements to provide selective ringing.
Jorge

zaphod01

It rings! I used the amended diagram shown below and reversed red and green on the line cord (green to L1, red to L2). Keep in mind my line cord (4-pin) and test cable (4-pin receptacle to RJ11) could well have red and green reversed somewhere along the way.

Line cord: Red (-) to L1, Green (+) to Y/L2
Ringer: Red to L1, Black to K
Tube: Yellow to L2, Red to L1 (instead of K), Black to K

The ringing stops if I reverse red and green from the line cord so it is definitely polarity sensitive. The ring is weaker than normal. Maybe half strength. However, I'm overjoyed that it works at all!  ;D

Thanks, everyone!
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

TelePlay

Did you try moving the ringer tension spring to the weakest position?

zaphod01

It's there. It wouldn't even wiggle at any other setting.
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart