"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg CArlson 1193

Started by Jim Stettler, February 05, 2011, 01:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

I think this model is the 1193.
I bought this one last summer. It was rough, but it looks better once I got it cleaned up.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Jim....this is outstanding. You must take some pictures of your clear sets for us to see. Except for the clear WE 302, I never knew these even existed. I know the Clear WE 302 was for the '39 Worlds Fair to show off the inner workings at the WE exhibit, but what were all the other clears made for? Gifts to employees? ....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

I read somewhere, probably on the list server that the clear run was done to test the molds.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

They made clear telephones for a variety of reasons, Most fall into these catagories:

Engineering Models- How does everything fit together when assembled.

Education -What does it look like inside

Sales/promo - What a neat phone , lets talk to the nice salesman

Novelty- Cool, I can see it's guts.

Security- The military would sometimes use clear telephones on secure locations, it made it a lot faster when checking for "Bugs"

Retirement gifts- A neat gift

Clear plastic samples - A lot of clear phones were made because the salesman brought by some clear plastic.

JMO
Jim

I have a smoke tint WE trimline housing, I think it was a test run on new molds. The clear let you make sure everything was assembling right. By being a smoke tint, indicated that it was from the "production" line.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.