"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Big Load of Parts...What are they?

Started by Nick in Manitou, April 30, 2016, 11:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 01, 2016, 11:08:04 AM
Never say Never, depending on what you paid we may have a competing lot for find of the month.
D/P

Good point!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Nick in Manitou

Well, as far as what I paid for the lot...I had to promise to try to keep this stuff from going to the dump.  She gave  the lot to me, so she didn't have to throw her father's stuff into the dumpster.  She was pleased to think that other collectors might end up with it.

(As I will be looking to divest myself of most of this material...I will be depending on the good will of the folks on this forum to come up with prices that are fair to us both.  I do realize that there may be little value to much of this.)

Nick

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phonesrfun

I agree with D/P.  I'd say that's find of the month material.... :)
-Bill G

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Nick in Manitou

In case any of you knew him, this is part of the collection of Jim Butler of Colorado Springs, CO.

Jim S. of this forum suggested that Mr. Butler might be interested in some of this material and I had to inform him that Mr. Butler had passed.

Life is too short.

oldguy

Hey Benny, Great find. I look almost daily on craigslist for Phone stuf, rarely find anything good. most of it is over priced junk. My best craigslist find was a 1934 D1 with matching dates but no handset $15, 554 $15 & 302 $20, so I bought all 3 for the asking price of $50. Then the lady said I have another phone you might be interested in & she showed me a beautifully restored AE50, she wanted $100. My wife was with me & she doesn't always support my hobby. My wife said (to my surprise) "If you want it you should buy it". I only had $60 on me ($50 was for the other 3 phones). Again (to my surprise) my wife handed me 5 $20 bills. I will have to admit, when my wife says I shouldn't buy something, when I look back on the situation she is usually right. Did you happen to get the daughter's contact info so you can contact her about the complete phones she plans on selling?
Gary

Nick in Manitou

Gary, it looks as though that was a good connection.  I love the AE50.  I keep my eyes open for one at a reasonable price, but I am beginning to think that "AE50" and "reasonable price" are not terms normally associated with each other!

The daughter did tell me that she would email me when she goes to sell the other items from the collection.  She had already moved them from Colorado to Georgia.  She says that she is going to be selling them on eBay.  I will make an announcement to this group when I hear that she is going to start selling them.  I will also get the name that she is selling them under so that it will be easier to find the items.

Nick

Nick in Manitou

It has been suggested that this haul might be a candidate for the Find of The Month.

The rules exclude nomination in this case due to the fact that I do not intend to keep most of what I received.  As I mentioned earlier in the thread, we are preparing to move (again) and are trying to reduce what we have rather than add to it.

It is my hope that folks on the forum can find things in this collection that they need/want and we can both end up happy and I can fulfill my promise to the lady I got these from to try to get her father's stuff into the hands of other telephone collectors.

Nick

Pourme

Quote from: oldguy on May 02, 2016, 06:17:23 PM
Hey Benny, Great find. I look almost daily on craigslist for Phone stuf, rarely find anything good. most of it is over priced junk. My best craigslist find was a 1934 D1 with matching dates but no handset $15, 554 $15 & 302 $20, so I bought all 3 for the asking price of $50. Then the lady said I have another phone you might be interested in & she showed me a beautifully restored AE50, she wanted $100. My wife was with me & she doesn't always support my hobby. My wife said (to my surprise) "If you want it you should buy it". I only had $60 on me ($50 was for the other 3 phones). Again (to my surprise) my wife handed me 5 $20 bills. I will have to admit, when my wife says I shouldn't buy something, when I look back on the situation she is usually right. Did you happen to get the daughter's contact info so you can contact her about the complete phones she plans on selling?
Quite a wonderful experience on several levels, Gary. She winds up paying for the AE50! Red letter day, I'd say. With my Criagslist bonanza I elected to go with the "better to ask for forgiveness than permission" policy. I'd take that over to "find of the month" !...Enjoy those great finds!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

oldguy

Nick, Sorry I confused you With Benny, you both had great Craigslist finds. My Username "Oldguy" says it all about my mind.
Gary

Nick in Manitou

Nick in Manitou

I am trying to face the fact that we are going to move eventually.  I need to identify what items folks on the forum might be interested in and which should go to scrap.

All those ringer parts (ringer frames?) shown in the photos above, is there any value in saving those?

I have attached a few photos of parts that seem as though they might be just what someone was looking for.

There is a hard (paper?, phenolic?) disc that looks like the kind of thing that someone might wish they had an original of. (See photo below)

There is a cord that has two conductors with pin connectors at one end and spade tips at the other.  It is about 2' 8" long.  I am guessing that it is a receiver cord.  Is there a way to identify what it might have been for originally? I don't see any markings on the tips. The covering is worn through near the knot, but the inner wire covering seems to still be intact.  (I assume the knot could be moved and the cord used if a slightly shorter cord was acceptable.)

In amongst the wooden parts is one that is square.  That struck me as unusual, so I figured I'd mention it here in case someone can identify what it might be from and perhaps someone on the forum is wishing he had one to finish up that rare...whatever.  I don't want this stuff to be pitched only to find out later that someone could have used it.  The wooden part is about 6 3/16" square and about 1/2" thick there is a mark sort of centered where something was attached.  Please let me know if you can identify what this came from and certainly speak up if you need this!

Thanks,
Nick

Nick in Manitou

Another item that came with this lot that I would hate to scrap without checking to see if someone can identify it and if anyone needs it:

It is a cast steel part with no identifying marks that I can find.  It has countersunk holes along one side with the hole at one end larger than the other two.