News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My First TP-6-A

Started by Fabius, July 22, 2016, 09:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

Got this at Goodwill for $17. This one is made by North Electric. The only dates are on the Western Electric transmitter and receiver modules that are dated 2-14-52 and
2-52-I (Indianapolis?). The line cord has a Kellogg paper tag The phone is in very nice shape with no damage. Cords are fresh, not dried out. The white paint markings on the bottom seem to be: 69 SIG (69th Signal Battalion) and TAC1 or PAC1. The 69th served in WW!! and was deactivated in 1945. It was reactivated at Ft Meade Maryland in 1955 where it was until 1965 when it was sent to Viet Nam. The 69th was deactivated again this year.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

oldguy

Nice find Tom. I need to hit the thrift stores more often.
Gary

mentalstampede

Nice! I've got one just like it. Aside from the ringer being a touch anemic, it's a great phone. I'm jealous of your original numbercard!
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Mr. Bones

Quote from: mentalstampede on July 22, 2016, 11:24:40 PM
Nice! I've got one just like it. Aside from the ringer being a touch anemic, it's a great phone. I'm jealous of your original numbercard!
Tom, very nice TP-6-A...a piece of history, to be sure!

I have two TP-6_A's, they are both Conn. Tel & Elec. Corp versions. They are among my favourites, for their unique appearance, historical roles, and relative scarcity.

The 69 SIG would not have been your run of the mill Signal Corps outfit, consisting of radio men, semaphore signallers, and telephony providers for the Army.

My basis for this is as follows:

My Dad served in the 119th, and 130th Radio Signal Intelligence Groups in the Pacific Theatre during WWII. They were (emphatically!) not  radio men, line area radio operators, etc. that task fell to 'regular' Signal Corps folks. Dangerous job, to be sure; an antenna makes you a very valuable target. :o

What my Da's, unit did was Intelligence work... primarily the interception, decryption, and analysis of all Japanese transmissions, as well as ADF locating of Japanese signal sources. Also involved was the transmission of false / spurious messages, to confuse the enemy forces, and the blocking / jamming of their signals when needed.

I am quite certain that you are aware of the tremendous importance, and Ultra-Level National Security status of our being able to decrypt their transmissions, and the incredible difference that made in turning the tide throughout the war. Without it, we would have indeed lost many, if not all of the crucial, and pivotal battles of the war, in all theatres.

Since 69 SIG would indicate 69th Signal Intelligence Group, this type of mission would have been the function of the unit that your phone hails from. Not a bunch of brave lads stringing comm cable from bunker to foxhole, etc., but along the lines of gathering intel for the OSS, JCS, etc. Pretty COOL phone, eh? I'm very jealous, given my ancestry :-).

Very interesting stuff, of which you will find some generalities, and very little specifics available. A great deal of it, as you will find, is still not declassified. Yet more unsung heroic gentlemen who have gone to their graves without ever being recognized for some of the most signicant contributions that allowed us to win WWII.

Interesting historical fact: when my Da's unit was training in California, they were issued Armored Division patches for their Class A's, to prevent the knowledge of their existence, both to the public, and even other soldiers, officers, and yes even the Base Commander. I have what very well might be one of the only existent uniforms thusly adorned, with 100% certainty of its provenance. 8)

Enjoy your phone, and display it with pride, Tom

With my very best regards, as always, Sir

Bones
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

I have one of these phones too. Mine is a 1956 model. Great find Tom, I'm a true believer in picking the thrift stores, you just never know what you will find...