"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Monophone telephone AE 1 Mahogany

Started by John S, August 03, 2016, 12:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

Hello-

I came across this Automatic Electric Monophone. Its hard to tell but its Mahogany in color.  It needs real good cleaning to bring it back to life.  I just can't find to much information on it.  I have seen them with the low cradle but not a high cradle.  It looks like it was gold plated. You can see how worn out it is.  Its a real cool phone.  I have had it for a while. Its has been tucked away for a year.  Here are a few pictures.

John

HarrySmith

You are right, that will be awesome once it is restored. It is always cool to "refind" a gem you did not even know you had! Please take lots of pictures to document the restoration and share with us.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

It looks like you have a very rare phone there. A real Mahogany 1A should be worth around $1000-2000. Great personal find!!!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

This one sold for $2,250 a bit more than two years ago. It did not have the tall cradle.

They do look very nice when all spiffed up. It was the subject phone for Auction Contest #117

John S

Thanks for all the post.  I will try to get more pictures on this week.  Automatic Electric are not expertise.  I am more of a Western Electric guy.  I think once its polished the true Mahagony will shine through. 

John

Jack Ryan

It is an AE 1, not a 1-A (or possibly an AE 11 - I can't tell without circuit information).

As far as I know, the AE 1 was only available in two colours; black and mahogany. Other colours did not appear on the scene until the AE 1-A and were made from Durez (not Bakelite). The mahogany version was not available until late in the life of the AE 1 - about 1927-1928 - again, as far as I know.

Jack

John S

Thank you Jack,

I am gathering all the information people have given me.  All the information is appreciated.  I am learning a lot today. 

John

WEBellSystemChristian

Be VERY careful cleaning up the gold parts; I believe they were plated in real gold! I may be wrong, but don't use brasso or polishing compounds, just a light cleaning for those parts.
Christian Petterson

Pourme

Being new to the hobby, I too am learning a lot each day. What a great phone! Can't wait to see the restoration!...
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

stub

John S
           Great phone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you post a pic of the wiring in the base ?   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jack Ryan

Quote from: stub on August 03, 2016, 09:48:03 PM
John S
           Great phone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you post a pic of the wiring in the base ?   stub

And a picture of the receiver with the cap removed (assuming it can be removed). If it's not too difficult, the transmitter element as well.

Thanks

John S

Jack Ryan

By the way, there is a picture of a red AE 1 on the ATCA home page.

http://atcaonline.com/

Such a phone never existed.

Jack

WEBellSystemChristian

Is a Mahogany 1 rarer than a Mahogany 1A, or was black about as common as Mahogany then?
Christian Petterson

Jack Ryan

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on August 03, 2016, 10:30:41 PM
Is a Mahogany 1 rarer than a Mahogany 1A, or was black about as common as Mahogany then?

I would say that a mahogany AE 1 is rarer than a mahogany AE 1-A - by a fair margin.

I am assuming that a dial would surface mount on John's phone.

Jack