News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NE 1962 591 A/B

Started by ....., February 28, 2015, 09:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just picked this NE 1962 591 A/B up for $15.00 USD plus $11.30 for shipping on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1962-Black-Rotary-Dial-Desk-Phone-Telephone-Northern-Electric-Co-Canada-/191520731869

NorthernElectric

Bice score.  What sets the 591A/B apart from other 500s?   I'm amazed the shipping was so low.  Was the packaged weight still below 4 lbs. so they could send it 1st class mail international?  Or maybe Lake Erie is completely frozen over and they walked across and mailed it in Canada?   ;D
Cliff

TelePlay

That's the current medium box flat rate cost from the USPS web site without going through eBay. eBay may be even less. However, seller may get bit by the bear when they find out the box is going to Canada. Seller did list it as shipping to the US only. Let us know what happens on this one.

TelePlay

Yeah, same box to Canada is $40.15 according to the USPS postage site.

Quote from: NorthernElectric on March 01, 2015, 04:12:54 PM
Bice score.  What sets the 591A/B apart from other 500s?   I'm amazed the shipping was so low.  Was the packaged weight still below 4 lbs. so they could send it 1st class mail international?  Or maybe Lake Erie is completely frozen over and they walked across and mailed it in Canada?   ;D

It's not coming to Canada, it's going to North Carolina. My buddy as a home there and we going there at the end of the month. I have all my US purchases sent there. It will be like Christmas when we get there. I have a bunch of package's down there just waiting to be picked up. Phones, Phone parts and car parts.

TelePlay

Quote from: Autonut on March 01, 2015, 04:28:32 PM
It's not coming to Canada, it's going to North Carolina. My buddy as a home there and we going there at the end of the month. I have all my US purchases sent there. It will be like Christmas when we get there. I have a bunch of package's down there just waiting to be picked up. Phones, Phone parts and car parts.

Ah, didn't know that. Good way to do it. So, both you and the seller are happy!

Dennis Markham

For a Western Electric I believe the 591 was made with non Bell markings and sold to Independent Tel-co.  They were shipped without a ringer and often a "frequency" ringer was installed for use on party lines.  By looking at the photo of yours, it may not have a regular straight line ringer.  I don't see the knurled nob that is normally present for volume control.

HarrySmith

It looks like there is a piece of cardboard, maybe a box in there??
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

G-Man

591-series sets came from the factory without ringers being installed in order to allow the telcos to install their own; typically frequency-ringers were installed for selective ringing on party-lines. 

There is as the seller put it to me. She said "My husband took the phone apart to check on the ringer adjustment & discovered the bells have also been removed. All those parts were replaced by an electronic ringer...the tag says "Vari-Tone Ringer", "Communications Products & Equip. Lawrenceville, IL." That's why it does ring."

WesternElectricBen

Out of curiosity, do you intend to take it out like it was originally or add a period correct ringer?

Ben

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on March 01, 2015, 05:13:53 PM
Out of curiosity, do you intend to take it out like it was originally or add a period correct ringer?

Ben

I will most likely leave it as is. It will go into my collection of Black 500's.

Doug / Autonut