News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WOW!

Started by BDM, February 14, 2009, 01:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

http://tinyurl.com/bpkj4t ( dead link 06-22-21 )
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Bill Cahill

Wow!! And, complete with a doorbell button, and, an on-off toggle switch!
Who's gonna beat me to this rare gem?  ;) :) ;D :D
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Steve

I know nothing about wall phones, but this seems odd to me? looks cool on the outside, but just how much jerry rigging has been done to this? the "conductive" hinges are freaking me out!
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

BDM

Conductive hinges were the norm then. Now, is this original?? Not sure, in fact I haven't a clue except many of the pieces look proper for the vintage. This phone may be no joke. The boys on the TCI list server would sure know.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Steve

Any idea what the doorbell button would be used for?
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

BDM

Quote from: Steve on February 14, 2009, 02:24:41 PM

Any idea what the doorbell button would be used for?

Uhm......................................None! ??? You gents may very well be correct on that gadget! Possibly later added as a signaler or something to that effect?
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

I have weirder things under my bed but that is certainly a strange one.

Bill Cahill

In my humble opinion, this is a frankenphone.
Home made.
Look at the modern toggle switch.
That gear mechanism housing looks plastic to me.
Nothing is adding up.
Bill Cahill  :o

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

BDM

Well, hold your pony's. We're going to find out.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

BDM

Well, according to the TCI gents, it's legit, though it has the wrong receiver. That is a W.E., not an AE piece. Of course that buzzer button is wrong also. But other than that, it appears to be correct.

Ahh, correction. The button is correct according to Roger Conklin. It was used to ring the called phone, since ringing wasn't automatic with the early dial systems. Once you knew the connection was made, you hit the button.

NOTE: Further update. Apparently there was a button on the front, that can be seen in the links Sarge provided. Many broke or went missing, and the usually replacement was the door bell button you now see. Not original, but not unusual either.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Bill Cahill

Well, I'll be  :o........
Bill Cahill

BDM

That's a completely legit set. And whomever bought it, got a fairly good deal according to the gents in the TCI list server. Rock on brothers.................................
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI