News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Green Kellogg DK500

Started by wds, May 14, 2019, 08:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

This one sold quickly.  Doesn't look painted.
Dave

RotarDad

Wow, that was a great deal.  Banjos in color are very uncommon.  The only other green one I've seen is in Dennis Markham's collection.  The seller left several hundred on the table there for sure....
Paul

jsowers

It's interesting to see how the ITT/Kellogg coil cord just doesn't match well. No wonder WE's version came with dark gray cords. They were still working on getting cords to match in those early days. It took them until 1957 for green.

Someone got a good deal, but now that I finally found the auction, it did have a repaired crack in the back. Here is the auction link...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392296825863
Jonathan

Pourme

~

Wow...With free shipping!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Dan/Panther

My guess, PAINTED.
Why ? Look at the third photo, left of the yellow label. Also that is a metallic looking green. Not a normal color.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

kleenax

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 15, 2019, 01:03:35 PM
My guess, PAINTED.
Why ? Look at the third photo, left of the yellow label. Also that is a metallic looking green. Not a normal color.

D/P
Definitely NOT painted!  You CANNOT paint a bi-colored number ring; it MUST be injection-molded in the opposing colors that way.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Dan/Panther

The brightness of the color is very deceiving, it appears too metallic. After looking maybe it is original, did anyone here buy it ?
Also some early version  phones had back painted number plates.

D/P

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 16, 2019, 01:56:00 PM
maybe it is original, did anyone here buy it ?

D/P
I looked at this auction. The photo looked adjusted to me. The handset cord seemed wrong, The bottom edge of the phone appeared green, but a good painter would do that. The black spot could be flaked off paint, or just ink. There isn't any black showing on the usual wear areas.
At less than $29.00 delivered it is still a good deal on a possibly painted phone.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It arrived Saturday, (Sunday I lost internet until today)
It is original green plastic, the black spot is ink, the cord color reminds me of some I have seen on dark green AE 90's.
The transmitter cap wouldn't come off and the receiver element wouldn't pop out. I haven't opened it yet, and probably won't for a while. It wouldn't surprise me if the cord was AE.
The crack is very tight and well repaired. It shows better in person than the photo. It is eaisier to feel the crack than it is to see it.
I will try to get some photos eventually.
I was very happy to find this phone on a cheap BIN.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RotarDad

Nice buy on that one Jim.  I'd guess you could resell for $400+ if desired.  More pics would be great when you get around to it.
Paul

jsowers

Jim, that does look like an AE Jade Green coil cord. Terry may know the answer better than I do, but I think AE coil cords were red-green-yellow-black with their wires while WE cords were red-black-white-white. So that may be one way to tell.

Congrats on getting a rare phone. In my previous post I said someone got a deal and now we know that someone was YOU! What do other Kellogg banjo phones have for coil cords? Did they use dark gray like WE did? Answering my own questions, I found a brochure from 1956 that says "matching Koiled Kords are available on all models." So that would mean it came with a green cord.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/strombergcarlson/kellogg/PDF/1956_BLTN_5603_K500_TEL.pdf
Jonathan

Jim Stettler

Thanks Jonathan,
It was a happy purchase.
Here is a link for the K500 handbook
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/kellogg-book1.html
I have a med blue K500 with matching cord.
I think I have a handbook with a Banjo on the cover. I need to check my library boxes.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

Jim;
Great catch.
Glad I was wrong.

D/P