News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair / Re: Stromberg Carlson wont dia...
Last post by dsk - April 14, 2024, 09:15:35 AM
That is a strange dial!  Where are the Red, Blue and Green wires connected?  If you slowly let the dial return from a 0 how does the contact set act?

If you remove those wires from the terminals, do you loose the dial tone?  If yes, may it work with one of them removed and taped.  (test one by one)

Wanted / Re: Wanted - Broken AE50 Wall ...
Last post by LarryInMichigan - April 14, 2024, 08:51:06 AM
I have a working AE50 with a few broken ribs in the vents.  There is no handset currently connected to it.

Larry
Keep in mind that the third, green wire coming off of the mute leaves in your dial is probably not the same green wire showing on the wiring diagrams.

One diagram show green and white attached to the pulse leaves and your phone has 2 white wires attached to the pulse leaves.

You need to understand you phone's wiring by tracing and not by relying on wire colors.

That taped off green wire is a mystery only you can solve because you have the unique phones on your bench.

TelePlay.... I looked through all the wiring diagrams on the site I could find and none of them are an exact match. However they did give me some ideas where to attach that green wire so I will experiment some. Since there are many phones with the green disconnected I know there is a reason or was at some time. Thanks for the leads
I think the PBX is called a Dimension 2000. I'll get some pictures when I am next onboard. Yes the Battleship Iowa is the National Musuem of the Surface Navy.
https://pacificbattleship.com/
Quote from: bcarolla on April 13, 2024, 09:32:29 PMThe "unique use" does not surprise me. They are from the Battleship Iowa.
Wow cool that's a museum right?
The ship must have some kind of PBX, can you post pictures of that?
Here is another wiring diagram, this time for a 500 style SC phone. Again, it uses 4 wires to connect the dial to the phone, not 5 as seen with your phone's dial.

The "unique use" does not surprise me. They are from the Battleship Iowa. I'll try to create a wiring diagram but beware that is a new task for me. Lets see what I can come up with. I'll check all the similar desk phones onboard and see if any of them have significant markings on the bottom.
The images you have provided show two white wires attached to the two pulsing leaf switches, a 9-X dial, no C4A type ringer and two "loud" arrows stamped into the base (one horizontal for a C4A ringer and one vertical in the center of the base I've never seen before.

Seems these are specifically made phones for a unique use.

Can you create a wiring diagram for the phone as it now sits on your bench?