Main Menu

Coin line controller

Started by trainman, December 09, 2014, 04:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on May 26, 2017, 12:44:13 AM
Maybe Jim will see this and reply.

What EPROM and CPU/MCU are in it?

I would have told you, but I can't. I have not opened up the unit yet and don't intend to (at least not yet) I do not want to take any chance of damaging it. I have been hoping to find a rate table for any area at all to see if I can customize it and do it the correct way.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: DavePEI on May 26, 2017, 12:50:12 AM
I would have told you, but I can't. I have not opened up the unit yet and don't intend to (at least not yet) I do not want to take any chance of damaging it. I have been hoping to find a rate table for any area at all to see if I can customize it and do it the correct way.

Dave
Got it.  If you had said that I would not have asked a second time.

Stubbypylon

Thank you Dave for the installation guide!
Craig Stanowski

Stubbypylon

Dave/Jim,

I pulled out my Omnipro which has been boxed and shelved for many years.  Regarding the software and rate tables, I have three discs:

1) a CD PhoneTracker version 1.07
2) a CD Documentation and Utilities version 1.04 (which does not seem to contain any files for CoinPro but instead other Omnitronix devices)
3) a floppy disc Miscellaneous Files for PhoneTracker

I can't view #1 & #3.  Do you think they might have the rate tables?
Craig Stanowski

Payphone installer

I have not looked at Omniphone controller software for years but if it is like a lot of others in regards to rate files, if the  frame work exist in the program you just have to populate the area codes and exchanges.
As to the question of smart payphone programs or controllers they will not operate without a rate file. To make this simple a program has to know who it is and who it is calling to work. The rate file is part on the brain. You have to have your whole brain to function.
Some programs do have default setting in the phone that will run but are fixed. Others will do nothing. The Omniphone needs the rate file to run. so all that said I am pursuing getting a PC set up to make this happen. I called a old friend that may still have a PC that has Omniphone software running on it. I also know of a company still using the stuff. So as I get time I will start to move this ball forward. If I can make this happen I would have maybe 40 of these available. They would have to be downloaded before they were sent to the end user. They would operate a 1C or 1D W/E set as if being run buy the central office. They are really cool. In order for a Coinpro to work you must have the license code. Thanks Jim

Alex G. Bell

Thanks Jim.  I'd love to see high res. photos of both sides of all boards when you can take the time if you have one you don't mind opening.

mentalstampede

Didn't you have some of the software running at one time, Dave? I seem to recall seeing some screenshots. Is that not able to build a rate file?
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Sigmaz

Quote from: Payphone installer on May 26, 2017, 12:33:31 PM
They are really cool. In order for a Coinpro to work you must have the license code.
Does the software require the associated / keyed CD to be in the drive during runtime?

Meaning, when does the license check occur?

Does the software just run happily after the install is complete? or does it require the CD or a dongle to cross check its security each time it's started?

Payphone installer

I believe it runs happy when complete,it is similar to expressnet the disks load the PC then you connect a cable to the controller and download it. You insert the key in the software in the site record as I recall. I will try and fire up the PC that has the program on it this weekend if time permits and also I may be the disks also. The rate file is what I need to fine I think. If it s still on the PC I think it is on it will have a rate file. I guess I could image the PC?

Sigmaz

Quote from: Payphone installer on January 11, 2018, 10:01:41 PM
I believe it runs happy when complete,it is similar to expressnet the disks load the PC then you connect a cable to the controller and download it. You insert the key in the software in the site record as I recall. I will try and fire up the PC that has the program on it this weekend if time permits and also I may be the disks also. The rate file is what I need to fine I think. If it s still on the PC I think it is on it will have a rate file. I guess I could image the PC?

Yep sure can.
We can go over the details on how with one of the tools I have already sent you.

Sigmaz

Quote from: DavePEI on May 26, 2017, 12:34:26 AM
It would still require a rate table for even that use. That portion of its programming is controlled by the rate table. Alas, we can't even find a copy of any old rate table for it to be able to disassemble it to modify it. One needs to have the correct format before much can be done.

Yes, if one had the ability to read the code in the eprom, one might be able to come up with a kluge which would allow it to work. How many are around? You would have to ask Jim. I still hope to get mine running, if I ever get the time.

Dave
You can create new rate files with the Phone Tracker Menu application (the one you have a photo of in this thread) the only limitation I see right now is the ability to create a "Band" file.
Keep in mind that I still need the installation software to set up the backend but I think I'm making headway in the PhoneTracker revival process.

Sigmaz

Ok gang time for an update on this project.

Today I have updated the PhoneTracker VM from Beta 1.04 to 2.01.

Everything seems to be running pretty well, The sql server is happy, The Serial Port can be piped through to the host (timing still needs to be tested), and all of the editor options are working including the OPTEditor patch update.

I still need to locate a sample "BAND" file ( *.bnd) before I can try to push any updates to the CoinPro.

<begging> If anyone has PhoneTracker running on any machine, Please send me a copy of your band file(s). </begging>

Your band files are stored in the (default) "C:\PhoneTrackerData\Files" folder. 

Please note:
If you are running PhoneTracker in a workstation / server configuration the files would be in the "C:\PhoneTrackerData\Files" folder of the server.

After that I would like to start working on eliminating the software key tied to the devices.

Sigmaz

Update:

Band files are in.

Next step is to connect to some hardware and see if I can get the pixies to talk to one another.

mentalstampede

Awesome! I would love to have one of these to hook my phones up to.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Sigmaz

Ok today's update...So far...

I have found that the Software Key may not be that big of a deal or even a hurdle to begin with....for collectors that is..

So the home gamers can catch up, every OmniPhone device has a serial number. They also have a software serial key that is paired to the device.
When you configure the PhoneTracker software for use you create a site record and with this site record you assign the serial number and type of device you are putting there.
in this record set there are also rates, and options, and bands, and a whole pile of other information that goes along with it.. and one of those things is the software key.
Up until now I thought that this would be a hurdle for those that may acquire a used device from the wild or NOS or whatever, because without the original packaging, you wouldn't have the factory assigned software key.

Well, I was poking around today and while reading some of the manuals I stumbled upon an interesting tidbit..

As I have learned, the PhoneTracker Polling utility will fail to communicate if the software key for the device it's calling does not jive with the one the device is expecting to receive and this failure would cause the PhoneTracker polling tool to quit and never poll again until it was forced to do so.

However I also found that there is a selection box that you can clear that seems to make it 'ok' to have transacted with an invalid key?

This may be simply to unlock certain upgraded features but it may also be part of the security scheme that works with the admin passcode.
Which features or upgrades? I have no clue.. I know the Serial port on the device was touted to be there for future enhancements.. maybe they never came out.

FWIW, This device does use an admin access code just like used on Protel controllers to prevent rival operators or hackers from accessing and reprogramming the unit.

I do hope to have some solid programming results as early as tonight.

Enjoy the rest of your day!