News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 1D2 info

Started by 1MFNPhone, January 09, 2021, 04:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1MFNPhone

Check and made sure all connection were tight and all plug where plugged in. I unhooked the totalizer too and reconnected. If you called in, the phone would ring but when you answered, the phone would keep ringing. And I tried another handset, still no dial tone

1MFNPhone

Well guys I figured out my problem. On the coil chassis underneath TB1 there is a circuit board that the tip and ring wires go to. Im assuming its a polarity protector and a voltage protector. But its bad. I bypassed it and the  phone works great

Key2871

Nice work! ITT does look like a polarity guard and yes when they go bad they open and kill the phone.
Glad you found the problem, great detective work.
KEN

1MFNPhone

Thanks for the guidance. Im use to more automotive type diagnostic in my career. Following diagrams and flow charts. Do they sell new boards? I can see where the ring resistor popped. I may just find a new resistor and solder it in. Around my house, there's alot of granite rock, and lighting always strikes close. Would like to fix it before I put it in use. And if anyone has a old handset hook for my payphone, I would love to buy one. Would like one with some age to it to match my phone.

Key2871

Well I'm a lot like you, I too have a lot of knowledge in some areas not a lot in others.
But I've been into phones for years and have encountered many issues in telephones.

If you want to repair the resistor that's your call.
But I think that was designed to make it fool proof to connect the set in the field.
So adding that polarity guard did the work, so the installer didn't have to worry about line polarity just connect and go.
As for parts there are some here that have them, try posting a WANTED in the proper area, look under for sale/ wanted. And post what your looking for.
If it's a new black handset you want I have a couple, but they are just G style and the xmitter and cup are not set up for payphones at the moment. EBay has a pretty good selection of payphone parts handsets locks, all sorts of stuff. Just shop around and look for your best deal. I have delt with one seller who has treated me very well, I can pass that name on via pm if you want.

But try here first, then look at eBay. The stuff is out there, I have a few things not much, but either way some want top dollar some are fair.
KEN

HarrySmith

Nice diagnosis work. I am also in the automotive field, spent almost 40 years working on cars. Are you sure there is a blown resistor on that board? Looking at your pictures, I cannot see it. There is protectors available as already stated, try posting a wanted ad. Also you do not need it for the phone to work. You can add a lightning protector to your phone line if you don't already have one, they are much easier to find.
Welcome to the asylum! Be careful, everyone here is infected with Phoneitis, it is highly contagious and incurable. You will soon be building an addition to your house for your payphone collection. Lots of different models and lots of colors to collect! Just take a peek at the collections topic. Our member Payphone Installer has a payphone collection that is unreal! Seriously, you have joined the best forum on the net. Have Fun!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Yea no known mask will protect from phoneitius.
KEN

Stormcrash

Awesome work on getting this payphone going. The polarity guard doesn't protect against surges as far as I know, it's really more of a polarity corrector, ensuring that the phone sees the correct line polarity so the touch tone dial will work properly. If you live in a lightning prone area I'm sure there are surge protection devices you can put on the line to protect the phone.

Ericofon and Oldphoneworks do sell replacement polarity guards, but since this is a rotary dial set the polarity guard is completely unnecessary. I would count this as more evidence (along with the model number oddity previously mentioned) that this phone chassis was originally a Touch Tone set that was converted/changed to rotary

1MFNPhone

The more I look at it, the more it has been piece together over the years. All the date on every part is different but it works. On the polarity protector, the ring resistor has a popped part towards the board. But volt meter confirmed it was bad. There alot of good information on this site that helped me along. Great place. Now I'm gonna see if I can track down the history of were this payphone was used. It had the number to the phone wrote on the card inside but no area code to help pin point. But would be cool to know.

Key2871

Well I think your phone was touch tone at one point but was converted to rotary by putting a rotary upper on it.
So the polarity guard is not needed as Rotary dials regardless of polarity.
How ever if you should get a Touch tone upper it might come in handy for one with her dial in it as those were polarity sensitive.
But your correct this place is a wealth of information and helpful people who have a vast amount of knowledge to tap into.
KEN