News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

windows 11

Started by Babybearjs, June 27, 2021, 10:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

couldn't find a subject for this but has anyone seen the new version of Windows coming this fall? (as if anyone cares) thought I'd just throw this one out... its going to be interesting to see the reaction to the new requirements to upgrade to the new version.... looks like there are going to be a lot of surplus computers real soon!
John

countryman

The wheel of waste production keeps spinning.

tubaman

Don't forget that Win 10 is under support until Oct 2025 so there's no real need to be binning anything quite yet.
Two of my three PC's will not be compatible (no TPM and rather ancient in PC terms - circa 2012/2013) so it looks like I'll be staying on Win 10 with those for now.
:)

Key2871

Windows 11, humm I look forward to that like a visit to the dentist..
I think I'll wait for them to figure out how to do software again.
KEN

Babybearjs

LOL! you guys know whats going on.... anyway, All my systems say they aren't eligible for the upgrade. so... no rush... I'm working on an antique system, and old compaq D510 SFF... a P4 based system... originally came with windows XP... cleaned the system up, adding a 160GB hard drive, and maxing out the memory at 2GB's! (wow!) the thing is a piece of junk, but my freind wants to use it, and it does run at 2Ghz, so windows 10 will run on it.... IF I can get it to load.... threw out the DVD-RW drive, bad robotics.... (drawer wouldn't eject, even after cleaning) threw out the floppy drive, totally bad... and now I'm hoping to bring it new life! wish me luck!
John

MMikeJBenN27

Wish I could go back to Windows 2000.  Don't like Windows 10.  It keeps turning my screen saver off and turns the Windows Firewall back on, even though I have AVG Antivirus and Firewall.  Very annoying.

Mike

tubaman

Quote from: Babybearjs on June 29, 2021, 01:19:38 AM
LOL! you guys know whats going on.... anyway, All my systems say they aren't eligible for the upgrade. so... no rush... I'm working on an antique system, and old compaq D510 SFF... a P4 based system... originally came with windows XP... cleaned the system up, adding a 160GB hard drive, and maxing out the memory at 2GB's! (wow!) the thing is a piece of junk, but my freind wants to use it, and it does run at 2Ghz, so windows 10 will run on it.... IF I can get it to load.... threw out the DVD-RW drive, bad robotics.... (drawer wouldn't eject, even after cleaning) threw out the floppy drive, totally bad... and now I'm hoping to bring it new life! wish me luck!

Eek! - I think Win 10 won't be a nice experience on that hardware. It might just about run but that'll be all. Personally I wouldn't even go there.  :o

countryman

Might even be OK to run vintage software on it.
I remember I did something like that with a 2008 laptop a while back. I could run a browser on it no problem. But I must say I did not check it any further. It was just to find out if it was possible.

To keep vintage software alive it might be even better to install XP? It would be completely safe off the internet, and even on the internet I do not see much risk. Virus programmers have abandoned it long since :-)

Key2871

I think anyone who has or had win 10 knows all about the woes of having 10 as a program.

Even now my computer does what it wants, and I don't even use it anymore, and 10 is another reason I don't.
KEN

Jack Ryan

I realise that a few of you don't like W10 but the reality is:

Over 1.3 billion actively used devices now run Windows 10, as Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella noted in the Build 2021 keynote—that's a massive 300 million more than the last time Microsoft put out a number a year ago. Windows as a whole claims over 75 percent of all desktops worldwide (StatCounter), and over 78 percent of those are Windows 10. By comparison, all versions of Apple's macOS account for less than 17 percent. Linux as a whole gets about 2 percent, and Ubuntu and Chrome OS both sit below 1 percent worldwide. (Note that all these number are for internet-connected machines in use.)

In my view, Windows became a proper operating system with the release of Windows NT version 3.1 and I have been using it ever since. Yes, I have had a few issues but I have had more issues with Apple and Linux OSs. Microsoft now has a different view of the PC (that they now call a 'device') from me but I can still do what I need to do - so I'll keep using it.

Jack

tubaman

Jack, I tend to agree, Win 10 isn't perfect, but neither is anything else. I use it both at home and at work and it does the job well enough. I also have an old laptop with Linux Mint installed and that is fine for everyday tasks too. With Linux you do need to be prepared to get 'under the hood' a bit sometimes to fix issues, and I fully understand that not everyone is happy or confident enough to do that. The other issue with Linux is compatibility with everyday apps, such as MS Office, but it has equivalents for most things. Also, if you are a gamer, which I am not, then you'll need a Windows machine to run your games on.
:)

Babybearjs

the compatibility issue has always been the issue with linux, even with Wine, it doesn't always work... I windows games played on a linux machine, I'd have already moved totally over to linux. MS Office is the other thing, I absolutely love it and the features it has, open Office can't even come close. plus there is the formatting difference... I once tried to open office document in open office and the formatting was all screwed up... so I dropped it. as for windows 11, it looks like it might be another Vista.... we'll just have to see how it plays out.
John

countryman

Quote from: Babybearjs on July 01, 2021, 08:40:24 PM
[...] it might be another Vista.... we'll just have to see how it plays out.

That was my thought as well. ME, Vista, Win 8... after a good success usually a lame duck followed :(
Win 10 served me well so far. Didn't Microsoft announce that they wouldn't issue another version but keep updating 10?

GTE Rick

Windows 10 is the reason we are now a MAC/Apple home!
Small in size ... Smart in Style ... and it has a lighted dial.

Key2871

I seem to remember windows 95 was fair, Windows 98 came out and all sorts of issues came up.
But it seems to run that way you get a program that works fine, so Microsoft has a idea to improve their system and then trouble starts.
Why? Either they aren't checking every aspect of the systems that run the software or they are rushed by corporate to get it wrapped up and put it out for sale.

It seems that when haste gives way to production that's when it's counter part reairs it's ugly head, waste.

I've heard a few times they didn't have enough time to trial run these changes to make sure there are no problems. If it's true or not I don't know, but it does tend to make sense.
With so many programs on computers these days how can anyone know that one really plays well with the other? Like kids you can put them in the same room with toys but are they all going to play nice?
Some will, some won't.

I've heard Apple is better but then I have heard don't bother. The same with printers for these incurious machines. They work great out of the box (sometimes) then they don't work anymore. I've heard excuses it's the program, others say it's the computer.
I bought a $300 printer for fax printing etc then a month later it stopped working right. The company that makes it says it's the driver ,it's old. So we load a new driver it worked a week then stoped again.
The company then said it's all out of date and I should buy a new one. 14 months after spending $300. For a printer and now it's out of date?
Bull fritters. They make these things to fail in months.
It's called built in redundancy. It breaks down you just get a new one. Not anymore, not me. To heck with that.
Now they make the power units programmed only for that printer, you can have an exact same but for a different serial number it will not work. Nope a boat anchor. It's all a scheme to get people to dispose of their cash to get new equipment when they want you to, and they've been doing it for a few years now.

Electronics are great it's the company's who make the to break down automatically they are the crooks.
The new thieves, but they do it a bit differently.
KEN