News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first Payphone WE 233G

Started by captroosh, July 17, 2021, 04:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captroosh

Yeah, I saw a small Dewalt set which had the right tap. 17 pieces for $30 That should do me. As long as I don't foul it up. I know you said oil for storage but should I get anything for when I'm making the cuts? I mean it won't exactly be high speed.
Capt. Roosh.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Key2871

Light oil, only if you don't have dry storage.
And even at that it could take a year or so depending on humidity etc.
And use oil when tapping or rethreading bolts or rods.
Take care of the set, it will take care of you.
KEN

captroosh

Quote from: poplar1 on October 21, 2021, 03:50:10 PM
The hookswitch has 2 sets of contacts. You can temporarily use wires to short Y and SL together, also GN to BBX. There is also a jumper wire from BBX to BB; is that present?

So I finally tried this with negative results. I used my meter after I connected everything and I was getting continuity on each wire. Still no dial tone. Here are some photos I took of the hook switch and subset.
Capt. Roosh.

Stan S

See attached below.

Stan S

Above photo is for an off-hook condition.

captroosh

Thanks for the photo Stan. SO here's the latest. I did tap the Phone Cradle and got the set screw 6-32 to fasten it to the latch. I think I have the metal fins lined up correctly but I have to work a little more on it. It was getting late and I was fading. Here is an odd thing though. I tried connecting the 2 wires to short the connection to no avail. But as I was doing this I accidentally shorted GN and Y on it's own and I got very faint dial-tone. I went through all my connections a again they all looked right. But then again it was late. So I have to revisit this when I get some time this week. When I removed the wire I replaced the Upper housing and locked it. I was pack to hearing the interference noise on the handset. However when I shunted with the dial this time the ringing stopped on the subset. It was at this point I went to bed. I have to play some more. Thanks for the help, everyone.
Capt. Roosh.

captroosh

Further update. worked on this a bit more yesterday, I pushed the 4 lower fins together ON the bottom and got a dial tone. I could not accomplish this with the upper housing on the lower hosing and locked in place. I decided to separate the housings and I connected them both with test leads. When I pushed them together I got the dial tone. When I turned the dial the the tone got louder and as the it was rotating and on it's way back I could here the pulse. However the dial tone did not cease after the dial returned, it only dropped in volume again. Perhaps the dial wires are not set up correctly. The upper housing wiring is in the attached picture. I disconnected the coin microphone and also the coin relay in the lower housing.
Capt. Roosh.

Key2871

You are making headway, and I agree I think your dial is miswired. But check recheck and you will find your problems. I used gator clipped jumpers so I wouldn't have to keep putting the upper on locking it etc.
Much eaiser to trouble shoot.
KEN

Stan S

What happened to the red dial wire?

captroosh

The red wire is looping behind the connection board, and then going up to the dial I presume. There is also a black wire that is not visible at this angle connected to BKX.
Capt. Roosh.

Stan S

The red dial wire should be connected to the 'R' screw along with your jumper.

captroosh

The red wire is connected to the R terminal in the upper housing. I mean I think that's a red wire. I'm a little  color blind so I might not be sure. You say the BKX should have a jumper to to the R terminal. Should I reconnect the the Coin Microphone or signal transmitter on this schematic as it looks interconnected with both terminals. http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=14500.0;attach=124177;image Also attached.
Capt. Roosh.

Stan S

Your jumper electrically takes the place of the electromagnet and the coin mics that are in series. The very colorful diagram you worked from is wrong. It should have included that jumper. Make sure the red dial wire is connected to the 'R' screw along with one side of your jumper. I still only see your jumper in the picture.

poplar1

Is the red wire on R a jumper?  Or the red lead from the dial?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

captroosh

The red lead is not a jumper. It loops behind the connector into the Upper housing. I am assuming from the Dial.
Quote from: poplar1 on October 28, 2021, 12:30:58 PM
Is the red wire on R a jumper?  Or the red lead from the dial?
Capt. Roosh.