News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40 Handset Issue (Fungus)

Started by Doug Rose, December 10, 2021, 09:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I have seen this issue with AE 40 handsets in the past, the finish seems to deteriorate leaving brown pock fungus marks. 

I have only ever seen this with AE 40 style handsets. It has been a while, so I don't remember if I just chucked them or sanded them. I will try sanding as this phone is in just wonderful condition. The lock is so good you can use it a carrier for the phone!

Any info is greatly appreciated....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Couldn't remove it, seems like it was part of the handset. Replaced the handset and give it a quick wipe down. Just need to find a dial card. Really nice shape. Bottom is perfect. Black Cloth AE cords....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

That is not fungus. This is the military version of a type 41 handset. It has cloth fillers similar to the German field telephone cases

Doug Rose

Thanks Robby....it looks horrible and I swapped the handset out. It is in the caps as well, what purpose did the cloth fillers serve. Handset might have been a bit heavier. Is it worth saving, already in my trash bucket on my work bench...Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 10, 2021, 01:08:53 PM
Couldn't remove it....

Even though rejected, could you explain what method (sandpaper grits etc) you tried to remove the marks and retrieve it from your trash bucket to add an 'after' photo so we can see how it turned out.

Thanks.
:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

Quote from: rdelius on December 10, 2021, 07:09:12 PM
That is not fungus. This is the military version of a type 41 handset. It has cloth fillers similar to the German field telephone cases

My Amtsanschliesser (ex military railway phone) and even the 1970ies SF882 (Bundespost equipment) have this mottled effect with matt spots. I suppose cloth fillers were considered stronger? Maybe the military even did not want a glossy look.

Doug Rose

This is not a mottled design handset, as Robby said Military Handset had cloth in them??

Hard to get really good pics. The handset is almost bumpy!

It might be a tad heavier than the regular AE 41 Handset, but with the phone looking so great, it certainly detracts from it....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

the auction pictures are much better as a "before" I tried to remove the issues....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 11, 2021, 09:20:42 AM
...It might be a tad heavier than the regular AE 41 Handset..

As you have both could you weigh each to confirm either way?

TelePlay

Bakelite handsets are not pure Bakelite. The phenolic resin was usually mixed with wood flour before being injected hot into a metal mold under pressure. The cold metal created the thin, shiny surface over the grainy interior of Bakelite parts. Plenty of images on the forum showing grainy, broken Bakelite item's interiors.

Canvas Bakelite, still available today under several trademarked names, is just that, Bakelite mixed with cloth instead of wood flour to improve the physical characteristics of the end item including moisture resistance and reduced electrical conductivity. The physical properties of canvas Bakelite exceed those of wood flour Bakelite, even if it doesn't have and never will have a SSS shiny surface.

Having an item that old made of cloth or canvas Bakelite is quite a remarkable and rare find with the value of that handset, to knowledgeable collectors and museums, probably greatly exceeding the price paid for the phone.

One would be hard pressed to find another and quite foolish to either try and buff it smooth or summarily throw it out in the trash. It's a rare artifact in telephonic history.

Doug Rose

Quote from: TelePlay on December 11, 2021, 11:09:46 AM

Having an item that old made of cloth or canvas Bakelite is quite a remarkable and rare find with the value of that handset, to knowledgeable collectors and museums, probably greatly exceeding the price paid for the phone.

One would be hard pressed to find another and quite foolish to either try and buff it smooth or summarily throw it out in the trash. It's a rare artifact in telephonic history.
Rather than be "quite foolish," I will offer it to you, a knowledgeable collector for the Price of the phone ....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Do all handsets on these AE ship phones have this pocked look, to varying degrees? Does it get worse as time goes on?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

David....I have/had 4 AE 40 Navy phones. This is the first I have found with the pock marks. But I have seen this pock marked AE41 before, just can remember what it was on.

I wiped it down with Brasso and then ran a fingernail over it and realized it was too deep to be removed by attempting to sand, with my skill set.

It looks like the Bakelite glaze is coming off from these areas and down to the Bakelite core.

Just curious why the Bakelite on the body is perfect and the handset is made of a different material....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 11, 2021, 05:51:32 PM
...It looks like the Bakelite glaze is coming off from these areas and down to the Bakelite core...

This may confuse as there is no Bakelite glaze or Bakelite core as such. Forming is a one step process. There is an interesting vintage movie clip on CRPF someplace showing handsets being made/removed from their mold, if I find it I will add the link.

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 10, 2021, 09:45:00 PM
...already in my trash bucket on my work bench...

I hate to put anything telephone related into the trash - better to do someone (and the environment) a kindness and pass your 'trash' items on for free.

CRPF 'Free to a Good Home' link:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=101.0

:)

countryman

Looking closely, the handset is not like the military canvas Bakelite ones. Also, the phone shell and the handset should have a matching finish.
Possibly the handset is just from a bad batch?
Using filler, elbow grease and paint might be a last resort in such a case. But not when replacement is at hand already.