News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE40 rings, I can answer, I can hear caller, they can NOT hear me.

Started by rockcreek, June 12, 2022, 04:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockcreek

I just got an AE40. It rings in. I can answer. I can hear the caller speak, but they cannot hear me speak. I can hear myself speak. I cannot dial pulse out, but when I do dial the rotary I do not hear any clicks and the dial tone momentarily is silent. Wiring seems to be in the right place, but I don't know where to begin troubleshooting of components (or shorted wires). Rotary dial cam appears to be aligned correctly.

FABphones

Welcome!

Could you add some photos of the internals of your phone so we can take a look?

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

rockcreek

OneDrive Album with photos

The modern wire replaced the handset wire which was cloth, but had been cut by someone previously in possession of the phone, I don't know why. The modern green wire is not connected on either end, but they match the color connections labeled on both ends.

RDPipes

Your wiring in the handset/ transmitter doesn't look right to me.
Here's how mine is wired and it has semi modern wiring also because someone has put a rubber coiled cord on it instead of the straight cloth one. I believe you need a wire going to that little fork in the center sir.

rockcreek

Wiring labels are different, and it didn't work.

RDPipes

Hmm! Well something certainly not right, I reckon all type 40's are not equal.
Of course maybe somethings not right at the other end. 
If you have a multi-meter you should be able to follow were the wires are going fairly easy.

rockcreek

The wires seem to follow the wiring diagram for this phone...of course it doesn't work.
Is it possibly an internal component? Those condensers do they fail? Is there a troubleshooting guide?

I'm also wondering why I hear no sounds when the phone is dialed. Seems like there is a bigger problem with audio out.
I am new to this old of a phone, and don't know where to start troubleshooting.

Does the center screw on block (wall connector) need to be grounded?

RDPipes

I'll be the first to tell you that I don't know everything but, I've not ever had one fail nor heard of one failing.
If your phone works and the only thing that is wrong is they cant hear you, it could be the capsule (If you have another capsule, swap it out) and I'd check it for continuity then I check the handsets wires going to the case and if there connect to the proper terminals.
At this point that's about all I can come up with sir.

TelePlay

Are there 2 wires coming down the handset from the receiver to BL and OR, or is this a solid handset and those wires imbedded in the handset?

If imbedded, are they continuous, not broken within the handset?

The diagram shows a 3 conductor handset cord so the green is a 4 conductor, not needed, and not used on either end.

rockcreek

I don't have any spare internal parts. The microphone is picking up audio I can hear myself in the earpiece when I speak, but no audio makes it out to the phone line, and I also do not hear any clicks when the rotary dial is moved...it isn't going through the next step...if it were a radio, I would be saying the signal isn't passing through the amplifier. Looking at the phone diagram, it looks like the issue is the "Inductor Coil" but I don't know what I'm talking about with phones.

The green wire isn't connected at either end on the handset, it's a 3 wire handset in the diagram, and I'm using  RED for R, Yellow for OR, black for BR, on the handset. Inside the phone per the diagram, my Red goes to R; yellow (OR) to C, black (BR) to T. I just verified them for continuity.

rockcreek

Change of symptoms:
The phone gets a dial tone if I pick up the handset, but if I dial there is no sound from the rotary dialer. During dialing the dial tone goes silent until the rotary is back starting position.

The phone rings, I can answer and hear the other person on the line speaking.

They can NOT hear me. I can NOT hear myself on the handset either. I believe earlier I was hearing myself from the other (test calling) phone due to close proximity.

Handset seems to be wired correctly, but I have not been able to find anyone else with this same phone with wire diagram FORM D-53688 Issue 6

stub

rockcreek ,
          Nice phone. Sometimes the center tab(BL) which is the common for transmitter and receiver , could be mashed down and won't make contact, try bending it up to see if it will work and if not I would try another transmitter capsule from a working AE phone , I've had several bad transmitter capsules over the years. Your transmitter wiring has the center tab(BL)and OR going to one side of the receiver.  Hope this helps. stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

rockcreek

Kenneth THANK YOU, I bent the center tabs up just a little more (tried that before but was too gentle), now it WORKS!

stub

rockcreek ,
           Your very welcome . Now it's time to get some more phones!!!! stub
Kenneth Stubblefield