News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Weak ringer repairable?

Started by jah, October 09, 2010, 04:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jah

I have a 1972 WE 2500 with a ringer that barely rings.  The ringer mechanism between the gongs does move but just barely so it doesn't make much sound.  I haven't taken the ringer apart or anything, in fact I've done very little to the insides other than blowing off the dust.  It was in excellent condition already when I got it.  I bought this particular phone more for durability than collectibility and it gets regular use.  Since it does ring lightly I assume that it is more likely an issue with the magnetism than with the wiring.  I'd love to have the ringer working, is it possible to repair a weak ringer like this?

KeithB

I'd be glad to send you a surplus ringer from a 500 set.  If a simple replacement doesn't resolve the problem, it's probably wired incorrectly.  Many here will tell you that often, moving a single wire from one connection to another on the network block may resolve your issue.

Good luck, I'm certain someone else will respond very soon.

Jim Stettler

Welcome to the forum jah,
Simple things first.
Try moving the bias spring.
It is that piece of wire that runs next to the clapper. You can shift it's position by the gongs.
Just flip it into the other side of the holder. and then test it again.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

jah

Quote from: Jim S. on October 09, 2010, 04:08:50 PM
Welcome to the forum jah,
Simple things first.
Try moving the bias spring.
It is that piece of wire that runs next to the clapper. You can shift it's position by the gongs.
Just flip it into the other side of the holder. and then test it again.

Wow, thanks Jim, that worked perfectly.  Rings loud and clear now.  I never noticed that spring before when I was glaring at the ringer trying to think of something to try.

And thanks for the offer Keith, I really appreciate it.

I have a question about the innards of one of my other 2500s that I think is probably easily answered by somebody with a little experience like you guys.  I'll snap a picture and do a new post.

-jeff

Jim Stettler

Most of the old phones are a pretty simple fix.
Jim
You live, You learn,

jah

Back to this topic, I discovered another 2500 that isn't ringing but unlike the other one, the clapper isn't moving at all on this one.  I have a few of these that I bought, cleaned up and put around the house, some in out of the way places that I may not have noticed weren't ringing.  This one is a 1981 unit that cleaned up really well and looks brand new.  It's not important that the ringer isn't working but it would be nice to have it in 100 percent working order.  Any suggestions as to where to start or what to try?

Phonesrfun

Probably needs to be wired correctly.  Check the wires where the ringer wires connect to the network.  The red ringer wire should be connected to L2, along with the red line cord wire.

The black ringer wire is probably connected to the G terminal.  If it is, move it to L1 where the green line cord wire is connected.

See if that works.
-Bill G

jah

Quote from: Phonesrfun on October 10, 2010, 12:00:19 PM
Probably needs to be wired correctly.  Check the wires where the ringer wires connect to the network.  The red ringer wire should be connected to L2, along with the red line cord wire.

The black ringer wire is probably connected to the G terminal.  If it is, move it to L1 where the green line cord wire is connected.

See if that works.

The red is connected to L2 and back to L1.  This is a newer 2500 and the ringer has 4 wires.  It is wired as follows:

Black: L1
Red: L2
Slate: K
Slate/red: (can't find the label, presumably terminal A)

I dug out a couple of ugly beige 2500s (also 1980s units with a 4-wire ringer) that I got a good price on but never used and those don't ring either, oddly enough.  Pulled out my last spare, an pre-80s unit with a 2-wire ringer, and it was ringing weakly.  Moving the bias spring fixed that one.  Odd how the newer 2500s won't ring but the older ones will.  I do have a lot of jacks, the house is wired with cat5e and the phone jacks are run from two ChannelPlus DMT-24 distribution models.  Most all phones have a strong ring but the capper on these 2500s isn't moving at all.

Greg G.

Quote from: Jim S. on October 09, 2010, 06:08:44 PM
Most of the old phones are a pretty simple fix.
Jim

That's one of the things I like about this collecting nitch.  90% of the time it only needs a simple adjustment or moving a wire.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

Just like D/P's qoute at the top of the page:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Jim
You live, You learn,

jah

Any other ideas?  It must be something unique to these 80s 4-wire ringer units.  Doesn't seem likely that all three would have a bad ringer coil...

Jim Stettler

Are you testing them 1 at a time with only the test phone hooked to the line?
Jim
You live, You learn,

jah

Quote from: Jim S. on October 10, 2010, 03:17:56 PM
Are you testing them 1 at a time with only the test phone hooked to the line?
Jim

Now I am :)  Without the other phones connected it rings perfectly.  It had occurred to me that it may not be getting enough juice to ring since I have about 13 or 14 phones connected but since the other phones do ring and the clapper on this one and the other two 80s units wasn't moving at all I didn't think it was the most likely reason.  Turns out it was.  Anyway, I'm glad that it's working correctly.  The fact that it doesn't ring with the other phones hooked up does not matter as the rest are loud enough.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Greg G.

You need a PBX, they are actually quite fun and come in handy when you're bored and have too much spare time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILUvbF62yB4
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

jah

Quote from: Brinybay on October 10, 2010, 05:23:11 PM
You need a PBX, they are actually quite fun and come in handy when you're bored and have too much spare time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILUvbF62yB4

Actually I plan to build an Asterisk PBX sometime or another.  I got a good deal on a 1u server and it's sitting there waiting until the $550 Digium card trickles to the top of my "stuff I need to buy" list. :)