and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Radio Shack 43-114 Telephone Tester Power Switch Shorted Out

Started by gands-antiques, October 08, 2017, 08:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

Re: RadioShack Telephone Tester, Catalog # 43-114

Hello,

I have a 43-114 RS tester and I shorted it out today using one of the outlets to test a fan.  Luckily, all of the functions still work but the paddle type power switch remains on (lit) at all times and the switch just moves back and forth without any resistance or clicking. I am running it off of a power strip now but I would like to replace the power switch.

Does anyone know who the mfg of the switch is, what the P/N is for the switch is and where I can get a replacement? 

Thanks,

Gary

TelePlay

SPST? Or other?

Can  you post a picture of the bat, the thing that moves?

Seems any modern toggle switch would work for a power application. Does it have to be exact?

gands-antiques

RB

Thats a very common switch, chk with amazon,frys, or local hardware store :)

trainman

The size may vary, but power strips habe switches like that, providing its just a simple On Off switch.

TelePlay

I PM'd this link to Gary a few days ago, but am posting it here should anyone not know of this source of a lot of stuff electronic:

Digi-Key Rocker Switches

This is one of many sources for rocker switches of many sizes, voltage and current ratings and switching poles. Digi-Key lists 12,799 different rocker switches, finding the one replacement switch in that group is the challenge.

gands-antiques

Quote from: trainman on October 09, 2017, 10:05:29 PM
The size may vary, but power strips have switches like that, providing its just a simple On Off switch.

This is really weird, but I removed the rocker switch from the tester and it seemed like the original resistance and clicking had returned so I tested the switch with my multimeter and it appeared to have the right continuity. 

I decided to put the switch back in the tester and it is working  perfectly.   

I couldn't believe it....I guess it healed itself??

Gary

twocvbloke

The rocker mechanism inside probably just got stuck, switches like that are usually easy to pop open and put everything back where it belongs (as well as add a touch of grease to keep it happy), saving the need to buy a new one, unless it's completely welded itself together, in which case it's usually good to replace anyway... :)

gands-antiques

Thanks for the info...it makes sense.  I sure thought the switch was fried.   

Gary