News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

princess restoration... advice please

Started by bwanna, June 16, 2009, 08:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwanna

i am about to embark on my first complete restoration project, a  1960 701b. some previous owner has replaced the hardwired cord by putting spades on a modular cord & wiring into the set. naturally i want to replace this, my thought is i will need to find a 4conducter line cord.  upon inspection of another 701b, i notice a 6conductor cord. is that 3rd pair to accommodate the external ringer(if i had one)? if so how is the ringer wired to the phone? also, any idea where i can find a dial gasket?
thanks for any help.
donna

Dan/Panther

bwanna;
When you say dial gasket do you mean the white plastic number ring backing?
If so I made one from a  sheet of white cardstock. Eventually I plan to get an original, or find some thin white vinyl to make one out of.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bwanna

dan
the piece i am looking for looks like a big stiff rubber band & fits around the number wheel to cushion the casing from sitting right on the dial assembly. i am sorry i do not know all the correct terminology. i looked on a couple of the "parts" websites & didn't see anything like that. maybe if i knew exactly what to call it, i would have better luck in my search.  thx for the idea, tho!
donna

JorgeAmely

You can find some Princess parts here:

http://www.ericofon.com/catalog/parts/princess.htm

Looking forward to see some pictures!
Jorge

bingster

Quote from: bwanna on June 16, 2009, 09:03:07 PMthe piece i am looking for looks like a big stiff rubber band & fits around the number wheel to cushion the casing from sitting right on the dial assembly...
That's a gasket which is fitted to keep debris or liquids from falling into the phone around the dial.  You don't necessarily have to have one, unless you eat and drink while on the phone. ;)

You can check this thread for pictures of the ringer that went with these, and instruction for hooking it up with a six-conductor mounting cord:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1162.0

I'm sure you could get away with a four-conductor cord if you can't find a six-conductor cord, though.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

I have a couple of Princess phones with the dial gasket, but most do not.  Without looking at the way my cords are wires, aren't a couple of conductors need for the lamp?  Maybe the aqua blue and white wires.  I have a couple Princess phones with a 7 conductor line cord too.  I don't recall if they're 701B's or 702B's.

Dan the gaskets are very similar to the ones found on the model 500's but smaller.

bingster

Yep, one pair is to power the lamp, another pair for the incoming line.  I'm not sure what the third pair does, but I could probably figure it out if I pulled mine apart.
= DARRIN =

bwanna

thank you all :)
found the handset cord @ oldphoneworks. will check the ericofon site for line cord. will also take a look at the ringer wiring.
4conductor will work, 1pr(red/green) for DT/ 1pr(black/yellow)for the light. the princess i am using now has 6conductor cord, i just cut the white/blue back when i wired the  plug to the cord. would like to make my restoration set as accurate as possible, tho &just wasn't sure what that 3rd pair was for. ;D guess i won't worry about the gasket.
will post pics when done. may be awhile, unlike some folks, i still punch a time clock & don't have all day to polish up old fones ;)
thanks again for your interest & advice
donna

bwanna

bingster---one more question, if i maybe so bold.  re: ringer wiring.... so the fone & the transformer are wired into the ringer?, then the ringer is plugged into the jack? tyvm
donna

bingster

Yep, the wiring from the wall goes to the ringer box (which would be mounted on a baseboard).  The AC adapter to run the phone's lamp is also wired to the ringer box.  All that is taken through the mounting cord to the phone.
= DARRIN =

bwanna

guess it's true "you learn something everyday" ;D   
donna

Phonesrfun

The TCI site has the wiring for the 701B and the ringer  A couple of the conductors in the cord are not used for everyday use.  Something the Bell System was famous for.  It was cheaper to make, assemble, stock and distribute one kind of line cord for several possible configurations.  Even if that meant that for the most part there would be unused conductors. 

So, here is a link to the 701B with the E type ringer, and the associated connections.  Note that the blue and black wires are tied together, so one of those is extra, and the white is not used at all in the typical configuration.  The tip and ring pair are the two wires coming from the outside line.  Per note 2, the ground connection can be omitted, because it is not a necessary part of the service.

The TCI site is a wonderful place for all kinds of diagrams for all different makes of phones.  Note that your average everyday phones from various manufacturers are covered.  There are other resources, including many, many volumes of BSP's out there for everything from the mundane to the complicated.

Oh yes, I almost forgot, here is the link to the Princess 701b diagram.  Note that in this case, the "w" in the 701 does not indicate a different model than 701b.  It was the way in which whoever posted this to the TCI library was designating that it is (w)ith the E-type ringer.

Note that other ringers will work.

http://telephonecollectors.org/library/weco/701w.pdf

-Bill
-Bill G

bwanna

thank you, bill, for the information. i have a short attention span & get a little frustrated if i can't find what i am looking for right away. >:(  thanks for leading me right to what i needed to know. the search continues for the pink cord (4 or 6 wire)
donna