News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Henry Dreyfuss Designed Pre-Fab House Found

Started by HobieSport, December 15, 2008, 04:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

I do indeed drool, Ben.  Gotta love the Twentieth Century Limited!
I have a newer Lionel model of the New York Central but not the Dreyfuss design.  Here are some pics:

1: The Twentieth Century Limited, pre-Dreyfuss.

2: Post Dreyfuss, with Dreyfuss.

3: Another exterior shot.  Notice the purposefully exposed wheels and machinery showing the function under the form. They lit the wheels at night and evidently it was quite the awe inspiring sight speeding past in the dark.

4 and 5: Club and dining cars. Dreyfuss and Associates designed everything, the entire interior, wall treatments, furniture, dining china, silverware, down to the matchbooks and sugar cube wrappings.

6: Henry with a model of the train.

7: Observation car.  Notice the wall treatment with big blown-up photos used like wallpaper.

HobieSport

What's all this fuss about Dreyfuss?  Sorry, I couldn't resist that one. ;)

Another cool useful Dreyfuss designed item is the Eingraham Sentinel Wafer wall clock.  They are often on Ebay.  Just watch out for peeling chrome and faded dial faces, and of course, make sure it works.  I have one for my 1950s kitchen in good shape that I picked up for about $25.
Here's one on Ebay if anyone is interested:

http://tinyurl.com/aqe2t3

Also, several of the Westclox Big and Baby Ben clocks are of Dreyfuss design.

Yet another useful item of Dreyfuss design is the Honeywell round thermostat, and these can also often be found quite reasonably on Ebay.

And check out the GE iron that looks like it could cruise at about 120 mph by itself, and its extremely ergonomic design.

McHeath

That iron looks like it's about the break the sound barrier! 

Oh and I always travel on trains in my gray flannel suit and tie.   ;)