News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Conficker/Downadup Computer Worm Warning

Started by HobieSport, March 31, 2009, 12:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

I don't want to start a panic but thought it best to pass this along, as things on the internet may or may not get ugly:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/31/BU6H16PEU6.DTL

Just to be safe, go to the bottom of the article and follow the simple steps to protect your computers.  If you use Mac or Linux you're probably safe.  I've had similar viruses a couple of times (don't worry, I'm clean now) and they are just about impossible to get rid of, without doing a clean system install, and reinstalling all your back-up, assuming you even have back-up.  Of course once attacked by the viruses it's too late to back up.

Anyway, just want to put the word out.  I'd hate to see any of us, or the whole forum server for that matter get shut down because of these very pesky and potentially harmful viruses. I hate that when it happens.

Dan/Panther

I religiously do the updates, I hope that's enough, along with Anti-Virus protection.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

I use Macs so not much virus stuff is a problem, well really none at all.  (never had any issues in the 22 years I've been using them)  Of course they cost about 3 times as much as they should, and have limited expansion options, and way fewer features than comparable PCs, but you don't have to worry about Internet bugs. 

bingster

Mac user here, too.  Since I've had this one, I've run it over a wireless network, with no protection whatsoever (no firewall, no antivirus, no nuthin) and I've never had a single problem.   That's not to say it could never happen, but it never has.
= DARRIN =

AET

I've got anti-virus stuff up the wazoo over here!
- Tom