News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stuck dialler

Started by ntophones, July 31, 2009, 03:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntophones

What do you guys usually do when you have a stuck dialer?
I have a couple of AE40 dials that will turn (like you are dialing), but won't turn it back.
I don't know how to take the main gear out to clean it (the center one with the wire wrapped around it.)
Are these usually just dirty? Do you soak them in something to clean them, then lube them? If you do that,
do they work after that?
Thanks
ntophones
--nto

JorgeAmely

There is a document and album that shows how to do that at this location.

Hope it helps.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1049.0
Jorge

ntophones

Hello,
Thanks for the very beautiful, detailed instructions!
My problem is, I can't get the dial apart per step 1. Is there a trick?
Thanks.
ntophones
--nto

JorgeAmely

Hello sir:

Let's assume that you have the dial in your hands. That means you removed the three little screws that attach it to the bakelite body and all four leads going to the dial are out.

Let assume also that you have removed the card ring holder, removed the finger wheel and removed the numbers and letters ring.

At this point, you can see all the internal gears and the back of the dial shows the electrical contacts. Put the dial on the palm of your left hand and look at the end of the main shaft.

In picture 27 of the album you can see that the end of the spring is visible through a slot at the end of the shaft. The idea is that while preventing the shaft from turning with your left hand, you turn the spring clockwise until the end of the wire aligns with the slot in the shaft. Now, very gently, pull the spring up to clear the slot in the shaft. Release the pressure of your fingers on the spring to allow it to unwind in a controlled manner, otherwise, it may fly away, or scare you.

Once it is out, the rest of the cleaning procedure is sort of routine-like.

Let me know how it goes.

Alternatively, there is a guy in this forum and another in Arizona ("Steve Hilsz" <jydsk@tds.net>) that will do this work for a modest amount of money.

Jorge

ntophones

--nto

Phonesrfun

You know the old saying, "Don't Try this stunt at home"!  This applies.  I have gotten good at doing my dials, but that education has come with a cost.

Invariably, I think people screw up more dials than they fix, until they become good at it.  Your first time through should not be to re-do your only dial.  That would be like taking Grandpa's gold watch apart and trying to fix it yourself.  Just expect to screw a few of them up before you get good at it.  At least that is my experience.  And if you want to be able to say you have done a dial, then get a junker and, by all means, go for it.

Assuming you only have the one dial, and assuming you really don't want to make a career out of dial repair, the BEST solution is to send it out.  I forget what these guys charge, but it is cheap, and these dials never wear out (generally), and so once done, it will be with you for a long time. 

I do applaud those who have put the detailed instructions out there.  For those of us who have turned perfectly good dials into lumps of parts, it is good to see it so well laid out, so the next time, I can remember which washer goes where, etc.

Wow, I have gotten cautious in my advancing years.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Some great points Bill.  I remember the first time I took a #4 dial apart a couple of very teeny, tiny washers fell out onto the bench top.  Had I not had another to compare it to I would have been lost as to where to put them.   

It is satisfying once something like repairing a dial is accomplished.  When all else fails the box of parts can be sent to Steve Hilz and he'll put it back together again for a very very fair price.

ntophones

Well, I emailed Steve--he is very reasonable. I'd love to do it myself (I've got about 3 stuck ones), but, I've already messed one up pretty badly.
I also can't get one apart, yet. So, I may be sending them to Steve. I wanted to do it myself, but, maybe I don't have the ability.
Thanks.
--nto

HobieSport

I definitely need a Steve Hilsz in my life!

Could someone please PM me with his email?

Thanks Bill G. for the very good advice.

-Hobie
-Matt

JorgeAmely

Hobie:

It is posted in reply # 3 above, last sentence.

Jorge

HobieSport

Gracias Jorge,

I emailed Steve, and yes; for $6. per dial plus parts and postage all of my dials are definitely going to visit and return from Steve Hitsz' dial heaven.
-Matt