News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wonderphone Stick

Started by Doug Rose, November 26, 2020, 11:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I have never seen a Wonderphone stick, just a wall phone and that was years ago.. This is just below a Strowger stick in my humble opinion....Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Wonderphone-Candlestick-Telephone/154206184984

?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

I almost bought one at a show close to thirty years ago.
The price was $80.00. 
That was the only one  I had ever seen offered for sale.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jack Ryan

Isn't just the transmitter Wonderphone?

I believe the candlestick is Leich.

I suppose, but I don't really know, the third company assembled the combination.

Jack

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Jack Ryan on November 26, 2020, 07:30:13 PM
Isn't just the transmitter Wonderphone?

I believe the candlestick is Leich.

I suppose, but I don't really know, the third company assembled the combination.

Jack

I think you are right.

My understanding is it is a Wonderphone "Transmitter", Not a phone, just a transmitter.

I think that is all that was  created. The wonderphone transmitter was supposed to be a superior
transmitter,  In theory the transmitter could be swapped onto any phone for better transmission.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Doug Rose

Schematic states Universal Seattle. I have seen many companies use SC parts. Holtzer Cabot comes to mind....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 26, 2020, 07:50:36 PM
Schematic states Universal Seattle. I have seen many companies use SC parts. Holtzer Cabot comes to mind....Doug
That is the stick portion.
I think wonderphone transmitters were just a transmitter.
Based on that theory, some Independent's may of sourced wonderphones transmitters to improve the transmission of there phones.
other uses would be for a remote subscriber, ordering one to improve their telephone. Back then, DIY was not a big deal..

The ATCA fact sheets had a page on wonderphone, The fact sheets were based on corporate changes.

Wonderphone could of partnered with some one to offer complete phones, I don't know if they did.
For the most part I think they were a transmitter company.
That said,
A Wonderphone transmitter on  stick is a very scarce and cool find.
Seeing a Wonderphone transmitter in person, you notice the size difference. It is a great find.
JMO, Jim
You live, You learn,

Doug Rose

Thanks Jim...I have only seen one on a woodie, you are right....they are huge!....Doug
Kidphone

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 26, 2020, 07:50:36 PM

I think it might be the other way around. That phone was in Leich catalogues for over 20 years.

But I never say never.

Regards
Jack

wds

The Wonderphone is pretty rare.  Here's another similar phone by Electra Voice.  Very similar transmitter, and the body of the phone is the early Kellogg Transitional stick.  The last picture is from Pete D'Acosta's Collection.
Dave

Doug Rose

Dave....that is very cool....thanks for posting....Doug
Kidphone

Jack Ryan

Quote from: wds on November 28, 2020, 09:57:26 AM
and the body of the phone is the early Kellogg Transitional stick.

I hope you don't mind me asking but why do you call this a "transitional stick"?

Kellogg made at least three candlestick models between 1900 and 1903. Clearly it was iterating towards a design it was happy with but why pick one of them and call it "transitional"? It was just another model.

The last picture is from Pete D'Acosta's Collection.

I have seen a few fluted shaft Kellogg candlesticks. After the ebonite/Bakelite covering had broken, it was replaced with decorative bathroom/lighting tubing by a dealer or collector.

Has anyone seen any evidence that Kellogg actually made one?

Thanks

Regards
Jack

rdelius

At COT damaged covering over the shaft was replaced with fluted brass tubing. It would fit SC sticks also

Jack Ryan

Quote from: rdelius on November 29, 2020, 01:21:37 PM
At COT damaged covering over the shaft was replaced with fluted brass tubing. It would fit SC sticks also

Yes, I guess it is in the collection mentioned as a novelty - unusual for that collection.

There is always a chance that a manufacturer did make a special telephone with decorative tubing or a left handed hook but with no evidence, the simple answer is usually correct - it's a fake.

The question is, is there any such evidence?

Thanks
Jack

wds

Here's someones chance to get a Wonderphone.  Maybe a little over priced!
Dave

Doug Rose

With Wonderphone decals on the SC subset and Switch. Wonderphone Universal schematic for Dispatchers Magneto (SC). I have never seen anything like it....very cool.

Same seller who took the offer on my Manual Oxford Gray 500....just saying  8).....Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1920s-Wonderphone-Candlestick-Telephone-W-Subset-Switch-Seattle-WA-RARE/224271945846?hash=item3437a65076:g:myEAAOSwNDNfqDFE
Kidphone