News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Subset hybrid?

Started by Pourme, August 07, 2016, 07:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

I know it's not a "original" piece but, I think I want one. I would use it for one of my D1 or B1's or matey a stick on display and use on my desk. Do we know this person making these?
I would like your thoughts on this piece!...Thanks!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162155763800
Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

TelePlay

That is a very nice looking item. I guess for the woodworker, a blonde finish showing the detail is best. I would prefer an ebony translucent finish to match the phone but still show the grain and finger joints, but that's just me.

The seller put a lot of time and money into making these and it seems knowing what parts cost, this is a good deal, even though some phones were sacrificed for parts to make the subset. Nicely done, indeed. Putting a kleenax cover on a 302 base would be an equivalent and maybe a bit cheaper, though.

Pourme

I get your point. I thought it would be handy to rotate a working display phone on. What would be the explanation for relocating the two wires in the phone?
Benny

unbeldi

Quote from: Pourme on August 07, 2016, 09:32:45 AM
I get your point. I thought it would be handy to rotate a working display phone on. What would be the explanation for relocating the two wires in the phone?

An anti-sidetone instrument, such as a 202 desk set or a 151AL candlestick has a four-conductor cord coded with colors black, red, green, and yellow,  i.e. the same colors as originally and very often still today used on an RJ14 interface (6P4C) and in modular cords.   So, it makes sense to use the 6P4C connector for connecting the instrument to its subset. Western Electric used this type of arrangement for 'portable telephone sets', meaning sets that could be used in multiple locations in a large residence or enterprise.  They designed the four-prong plug (No. 283B) for this purpose in 1930 or so, the same plug that was used later as line plug.

So, there would have been a way to stay somewhat original in this design by using a four-prong plug instead of the modular connector, permitting the use of an original spade-terminated mounting cord with your desk stand.

Nevertheless, I have sold 202s with 6P4C connectors myself when using a modern vinyl mounting cord with conductors that can be crimped into a modular connector.

Doing this, of course requires a fixed coding scheme for the wire colors in the mounting cord.  One would hope that this seller adhered to some conventions, but it is precisely the reason why he must supply a wiring diagram with his set.

unbeldi

Here is the wiring diagram I have used and supplied with my implementation of this method.

This shows a 684A or 634A subscriber set, or a 302 telephone base.

When using a 425 type network, the following color scheme for the terminals applies:

B --> black
R --> red
GN --> green
L2 --> yellow

Pourme

Thanks for the information Unbeldi!...I'm always learning here.
Benny

unbeldi

So, with this information at hand, you could buy any decorative box, wooden or not, and place a network and a ringer inside and drill some holes for the jacks and sound holes for the ringer.  I bet you can buy very nice boxes at your local art&craft store a lot cheaper than ordering this.

Pourme

I do have several 302's that would be candidates for this process. I will give it some serious thought.

Again, Thanks!
Benny

TelePlay

Quote from: Pourme on August 07, 2016, 11:01:49 AM
I do have several 302's that would be candidates for this process. I will give it some serious thought.

Forum member kleenax makes black plastic covers that convert a 302 base into a nice looking subset ("Western Electric 302 subset cover (converts 302 base to subset)". They sell, or have sold, for around $25 the last time I bought one some time ago. He does not have any on eBay right now but if you are interested in going that route, you could send him a PM or contact him through his company's web site: http://telephonecreations.com/index.htm

Pourme

Ok...I did a Google search on Kleenax Sublet Boxes and you can imagine what I got. I wondered how one makes a 302 adapted subset look presentable. I will investigate that as I could use a few working subsets.
Thanks!
Benny

TelePlay

Quote from: Pourme on August 07, 2016, 01:21:06 PM
Ok...I did a Google search on Kleenax Sublet Boxes and you can imagine what I got. I wondered how one makes a 302 adapted subset look presentable. I will investigate that as I could use a few working subsets.
Thanks!

Yes, I'm sure you got search got a lot of tissue results along with the top question "Did you mean: Kleenex Subset Boxes."

Back in 2012, Ray told the story of when and how he came up with that handle and yes, it is unique.

Best way to contact him is by using the email address given at the bottom of his web site home page, that address is also given in the signature line of all his forum posts. -- http://telephonecreations.com/

EDIT:  Found a topic about the covers and this image of a black one covering a 302 base for a 202 D1. Click the image to get the post.

Pourme

I did PM him and he said he would be restocked in about 2 weeks...Thanks for the info. I will go in that direction.
Benny

Phonesrfun

The base of a 302 telephone is entirely equivalent electrically to a 684 subset, and Ray's covers do make for a great way to make a subset.  The nice thing about using a 302 base is that the 302 base has feet.  That means that you can set it on a piece of furniture and not have it scratch.  A genuine 684 subset, on the other hand, has no feet because those are meant to be permanently screwed to a wall.  So, the 302 base is a great way to go and even more portable than screwing something to a wall.

-Bill G

Pourme

I have at least 2 302's with the cracking, shrinking cases. I would love to use them as subsets, & yield some spare parts to boot.  This is prefect. Now I have a plan. This will cost less than the hybrid deal and net me 2 usable, nice looking subsets!...
Benny

Pourme

I spent some time today experimenting with two of my 302's. I managed to convert them into working subsets! Now I'm just waiting to order the covers from Kleenax. The information and help from this forum and the members is tremendous!

Thanks so much!

Benny
Benny