News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Curly cords for 302 phones

Started by brenthyatt, September 12, 2016, 11:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brenthyatt

I've been looking for a supplier of curly rubber handset cords for 302 (and other) phones that look close to the originals. Most are too small in diameter, way too long, wrong color or limited to 2 conductors. I think I've finally found one that suits my needs. If anyone is interested, there is a supplier on the big auction site that sells them under the heading Belden Retractable Microphone Cable. It's a black rubber covered 3 conductor cable with 3 - 24 gauge wires plus a ground. The relaxed coil length is 11 1/2 inches, plus 6 inches straight conductor on each end. the cable diameter is 1/4", the coil O.D. is a full 7/8". Cost is $15.50 including shipping. I think it would probably stretch to 5 or 6 feet. You will have to add your own restraints and spades, but a very nice looking cable. The rubber doesn't have that modern shiny neoprene look which is a nice touch. I have a couple of original curly cords on 302's, but they're so stretched, its hard to tell what the original coil diameter was. I will be adding one this week to a 1947 302 that has a repro cloth handset cord that just doesn't look good IMO. Just thought I'd pass it on.

Babybearjs

have you looked at Oldphoneworks? if you go to www.oldphoneworks.com, they will have the curly cords you are looking for....
John

brenthyatt

Yes, I'm familiar with OPW, I have used their curly large diameter cords on wall phones and they are made well and look OK, but the diameter is still too small and they are much too long to resemble the originals used on desk sets. Thanks.

Babybearjs

If you are looking for vinyl curly cords, for the 302's it takes a bit of work... you can use a standard curly cord for the phones but they have to be adjusted.... cutting and reterminating the end that goes in the phone. also being able in attach the proper strain relieve. I got a green 302 years back that had been remanufactured by W.E. they just took a standard cord and fitted it for the phone, cutting the 2nd. wire out of the scheme and then trimming and respading the wires. I have had to put new spade terminals in these cords and they have worked just fine. Good luck with your project....
John