News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

my gpo 746 phone has no ring

Started by supadupa, March 22, 2011, 10:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supadupa

hi everyone my first time on here, and i'm looking for a little info on what's the probable cause of my gpo 746 telephone not ringing , everything else works on the phone except the ringer, any suggestions as what the problem might be and what i can do to fix it..
                 many thanks in advance
                                               ray

GG

Presumably you're in the US; otherwise please let us know which country. 

Also are you using this on a regular telco Central Office line, or on a VOIP service with an analog terminal adaptor, such as Comcast or UVerse or anything like that?   If so, the ATA won't have enough power to ring the bells unless you do some further modifications.

In any case the answer is likely to be to add a capacitor across two terminals in the telephone, thereby completing the ringer circuit to the telephone line.  UK phones have an unusual system for handling ringing, where all the bells on the phones in a house are connected in series so they don't jingle when someone is dialing. 

We have folks here from England who will be able to tell you exactly what gets connected to what.  I have a bunch of GPO telephones but I've already modified them to work on USA lines, but yours may be different and one of our UK members could tell you more. 

Owain

The cause is the straps inside the phone aren't set correctly.

See here

If you're in the US and require 2-wire connection with an internal bell capacitor, then strap

8-9

7-6-5-4-one side of the bell if it's a 4k bell (2 x 2k in series)
OR
7-6-5-[resistor]-4-one side of the bell if it's a 1k bell (2 x 500R in series). resistor should be 3k3 or higher.

19-18-17-16-other side of the bell

Telephone line cord A to 8
Telephone line cord B to 18

You may get bell tinkle when pulse dialling out on this or other phones.

teka-bb

=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

supadupa

thankyou, i shall look into the info you have given me...