"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My oak phone bench

Started by phoneguy06, March 02, 2009, 08:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phoneguy06

Hi everyone,

It occurred to me today that I had never taken a photo of my phone bench with a phone sitting on it. I purchased this bench at a local antique mall for $99. The finish on it was perfect, until I ended up scratching it late one night with a base plate screw while I was tinkering around :-[. The phone on it at the moment is my 1989 ITT 500, which I'm convinced has to be one of the last hardwired phones manufactured. Who would have wanted a hardwired phone by '89? The phone was NOS, and I rather regret having used it now, considering that it is non-modular. I have one more NOS phone which I intend to keep my paws off of, enjoy the photo!

Dan/Panther

Phonrguy;
Your's puts my meager antique to shame. It's beautiful.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

Nice bench, very fine looking antique.  As for hardwired phones you can still get 2500s from the factory hardwired.  Check out Amistel:

http://www.asimitel.com/

And go down this web page towards the end to read about their secured cord option:

http://www.asimitel.com/information.php?info_id=21

Makes a lot of sense to me as many of these phones are for public areas and a modular handset is just begging to be stolen. 

phoneguy06

Thanks Dan. Isn't it you who's attempting to recreate the same phone bench and set up that you had in 1956? I think that's pretty neat myself :).

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AET

I've always wanted one of these benches.  Love the phone too!!  I am a little surprised people wanted hardwired phones by that point too, and I'm even more surprised they still make them!
- Tom

Greg G.

Funny, I was just thinking of starting a thread regarding telephone tables or benches.  In my search online for phones, keywords naturally bring up related stuff such as phone tables or benches.  They range from junk to beautiful antique stuff.  I haven't got one yet, but it's on my list.

I'd like to see what others have.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AET

Some old houses from the 20's around here, the old bungalow style homes, especially in my home town of Milwaukee, have built in telephone tables and benches.  They're really cool!
- Tom

McHeath

Those are cool!  Try to sneak us a pic now and then, I like to see that type of installation.