News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Restoring a WECo white 500U

Started by cihensley@aol.com, January 15, 2011, 04:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I agree, looks awesome! Especially the base, whatever Jorge told you was right on, that was the worst part and it looks great, is the inside of the corners as nice?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

cihensley@aol.com

HarrySmith - yes, I used the Dremel wire brush on them also

JorgeAmely

Quote from: jsowers on February 01, 2011, 03:56:52 PM
Chuck, you did a wonderful job on that 500U, and especially covering/removing the rusty spots on the bottom. How did you do that? I think it's plenty white enough.

Do you have a 4-conductor mounting cord for it? I bet that would be hard to find.

Chuck:
I think I have a four conductor white cord from the early 60s. Let me know if you need it.

Jorge

HarrySmith

How did you paint the base? Obviously you did not paint the entire thing and I do not see any lines from painting just the corners. It looks like original paint, just cleaner. Does not look like new paint, I like it a lot.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

cihensley@aol.com

Yes. I painted the entire base. I placed a small piece of tape (I use the blue 3M painters tape) over the LOUD and the phone type and date stamps. I used an Iwata airbrush and RustOleum flat black thinned with naptha (2 paint : 1 naptha). I sprayed the corners first and let them dry (this is where you want the paint thickest because of bare metal from wire wheeling) Then I sprayed the entire base. To avoid a sharp demarcation at the tape, I diffused the spray with a piece of cardboard I used the cardboard from the back of a writing tablet) held slightly above the surface of the base. A picture better explains it.

Chuck

Dennis Markham

Chuck, I'm not familiar with the file extension of that photo but I was unable to open it with PhotoShop.  Probably pilot error on my part.

cihensley@aol.com

I tried to save a couple of steps. Here is a JPEG of the drawing, hopefully.

Chuck

bingster

= DARRIN =