News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lookie what I got

Started by Kenny C, October 08, 2010, 02:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

This little beauty came today.Its from 1957.I will take more detailed pictures when I get a new bulb.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan

Nice score, I'm guessing from the shape of the cord exiting the handset it was refurbished in 1972. A little trivial guess. See if I am right ;)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

jsowers

That looks like a 500P to me. A very rare phone. It was like the 500U, but didn't have the dimmer switch. You don't see many of them. The handset cord does look like it was replaced, but the mounting cord looks thick, like it could be the original 4-conductor cord. The dial face almost looks dark gray, but I think it's the lighting. The fingerwheel and number card look to be original to the phone.

Radio Shack may still have the #46 lamp that goes in these and 701 Princesses. They come in a 2-pack.

Congratulations on getting a nice one, Kenny! Post some more pictures of all the pieces when you get a chance.
Jonathan

Doug Rose

Kenny....if it fits a Princess, I have a bulb.....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Aren't there 2 different princess bulbs?
I am thinking wedge base and bayonet base, with the bayonet base being older?

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

I have a holder with a bulb in it. I don't collect them so I have no idea...Doug
Kidphone

Kenny C

I got the bulb. going to test in a few minutes.

Quote from: Dan on October 08, 2010, 08:13:24 AM
Nice score, I'm guessing from the shape of the cord exiting the handset it was refurbished in 1972. A little trivial guess. See if I am right ;)

Right on the nose
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

baldopeacock

Quote from: jsowers on October 08, 2010, 09:11:08 AM
That looks like a 500P to me. A very rare phone. It was like the 500U, but didn't have the dimmer switch. You don't see many of them.

The place where I found my Oxford Gray '55 500 last weekend had a pink 500P.   They were pretty proud of it, pricewise - $400.   Other than some fade it was in good shape and did not appear to have ever seen the refurb shop.

baldopeacock

Kenny, does your new mushroom still have its original case?

Kenny C

No i had to make one the original was notched for modular.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Doug Rose

Kenny...have you tols us how you got this beauty?
Kidphone

Kenny C

Paul-F sold it to me along with a 354 and some cloth cords a bunch of dial card retaining rings and a blank to make a manual 302 for 210.00 i am a happy camper
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

more
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Beautiful phone, Kenny.  You must be pretty excited.  Don't get too much good stuff too fast..you won't have anything to look forward to in the future!  Congratulations on your "mushroom".

Kenny C

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 08, 2010, 05:20:04 PM
Beautiful phone, Kenny.  You must be pretty excited.  Don't get too much good stuff too fast..you won't have anything to look forward to in the future!  Congratulations on your "mushroom".

Thanks dennis I am happy now i need more shelves
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010