News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lampitis strikes - Super Aladdin (Model 14?) hanging lamp...

Started by twocvbloke, February 06, 2017, 12:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

I'd just turn off the electric lamps one evening and do as if there were an outage.  Practice would make things go smoother in a real failure.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Oh I'm well-practiced in getting things set up and lit, got plenty of battery and USB LED lights to use as spots and low-power fill lighting, and of course the gas mantles which are instant to light up (they're just noisy and annoying), heck, when it comes to being prepared, I' think I'm just as read as some of the "preppers" out there in the world, minus the petrol for my generators, but I doubt that'll make much difference as running a generator in this country runs the risk of someone permanently "borrowing" it unless guarded with a pointy stick... ;D

I do like lighting my 23 now and then though for it's ambience, and that soft greenish radioactive thorium glow, it's quite pleasant, and of course, as mentioned many times, it's a useful heater too... :)

twocvbloke

Quote from: andre_janew on February 19, 2017, 01:00:42 PM
Electric power is very reliable during a storm if you live in or very close to the city.  If you live in a rural area a few miles outside the city, you have a better chance of being in a power outage during a storm.  Then you will be able to really use your lamps.

Here in the UK, where I live is considered "rural", but then we are a densely packed nation (the entire population of Canada wouldn't even make it past the North/South divide if they were all dragged over here!!), but some areas round here do have poor power grids, its just where I live doesn't, so, the only power interruptions we get is an occasional dip or a cut for about 1 second, so no fun really... :-\

But that said, the UK is close to breaching its generation capacity because forward planning in building new power stations during the 90s and 00s wasn't a thing, so, you never know, 3-day week-style rolling powercuts might be a thing again soon... ;D

I best stock up on Paraffin though...........

twocvbloke

By jove I think I've fixed it!! Was poking around the gallery and wick tube and noticed a gap between the two which seemed to be located in around the same spot where there was the worst flickering, and after tweaking the metalwork to close the gap, it seems to have stopped the flicker...  :D

Going to run it for a couple hours now just to make sure, but, I'm pretty confident it's sorted without buying parts, and the splits in the outer wick tube diffuser seem to not affect it's burning, so no requirement for new parts... :)

twocvbloke

And out of boredom I put the 23's shade and carrier onto it, looks quite nice like that... :)

twocvbloke

Definitely working properly now, still some very minor flickering now and then but far easier to ignore, and probably just from the wick being unused when I got it as the 23 did the same and eventually stopped... :)

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

andy1702

Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

twocvbloke

I'm feeling a slight sense of dejavu with regard to the mantles, just like the early days with the 23, it's got a split in it already, though this one is a horizontal split at the top, and probably caused by the lamp being taken apart several times trying to work out the airflow issue, but so long as it stays there and doesn't migrate all the way round the top of the mantle, it shouldn't be a problem, still annoying though as that set of three NOS mantles were £12 a piece, and that's cheap for Aladdin mantles...  :-\

19and41

You ought set aside the damaged mantles for testing and evaluating the lamp and keep the pristine ones for when they will be on standby for use. 
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

All the previous broken mantles are gone now, I'd sat them in a padded envelope that got squashed, and of course, the broken mantles became very broken... :-\

But on the plus side my smoke bell replacements arrived today, a pair of cheap cymbals from china, just barely small enough to fit in the frame, but fit they do, and on the plus side, once the one I fitted heated up, it lost the annoying sound it made (not very musical for a musical instrument!), so I can use the lamp as intended now...  ;D

19and41

Were those sold as smoke bells or finger cymbals?  With that red cord handle, I would think they were intended to be the latter.   Didn't they also make a screen that could be clipped onto the chimney? i remember one figuring prominently in a Sherlock Holmes mystery episode from the '80s.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

They were definitely sold as cymbals, but I re-purposed one of them as a smoke bell, and besides, as cymbals, they sound like crap... ;D

There are screens for the chimneys, but they're bug screens rather than diffusers, presumably useful for when a dimwitted moth tried to fly in and got turned into a floating ember that could set fire to something nearby... :o

http://www.aladdinlamps.info/screens.html

19and41

Here is the one I was thinking about, in action.

— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Oh, them things, yeah, there's those, but being a piece of flat or spun metal made for lamps over a certain age, they tend to price them too high, which is too pricey for my pockets... :)