"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Field Trial 500? F-51674-R Discussion

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, April 07, 2016, 02:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

Quote from: poplar1 on June 02, 2016, 04:48:36 PM
What year did Stromberg-Carlson start using tone ringers in their Petite (?) (Princess Style) sets?
And what about the Ericofons, whether Ericsson or North Electric?
2500DMGB and 2500MMGB sets made by WE/AT&T Technologies?

I have two North 541-type sets that have Ericsson tweeters. They were reportedly removed from service in Iowa.

The ivory set arranged for the sound to go out the bottom of the set is dated 12-55.

The white set with a side-firing horn is dated 2-59.

http://www.paul-f.com/North555.htm
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

paul-f

Quote from: unbeldi on June 02, 2016, 10:05:42 AM
...I do suspect that Crystal Lake was also manual...

Crystal Lake was served by a manual exchange.

TCI members can find the article "Transistorized telephone summons you with a musical tone" in the November 2014 issue of Singing Wires in the on-line Singing Wires Archive.

In addition to confirming the Crystal Lake exchange, it includes a timeline of tone ringing and switching in the Bell System from a patent application in 1949 to the Morris installation in the early 1960s. The Bonus Pages include reprints of ads, lots of photos and diagrams and an extensive bibliography.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

andre_janew

We still don't know what is inside that handset.  There must be a reason for the G-1 marking being ground off.

unbeldi

Just to close out this thread:  The object sold for USD$1045 on 2016-06-12 with four bids.

A high price for a rather defunct shell without its most important part.

poplar1

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on November 05, 2016, 12:19:15 AM
F-51674-R
    7-56

PROPERTY OF
BELL TEL. LAB.
TRIAL SET

New topic 11/4/16:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17049.msg175857#msg175857

So, the current owner, in the description, says "This is being sold AS IS and as found." indicating to me that the seller did not buy this, or buy it for more than $5, at an estate sale or something similar. Had the seller known it was worth more than $100, would he not have started it higher or put a reserve on it? By doing neither of those, it means he was not the one who paid $1,045 for it only 5 months ago. Had he paid the $1,045 I'd say he was taking a big chance on getting anything near that price on this auction.

Something happening here but what it is I'm not exactly sure . . .

Any thoughts on that one sentence and the starting price?

poplar1

Quote from: TelePlay on November 05, 2016, 12:57:05 AM
So, the current owner, in the description, says "This is being sold AS IS and as found." indicating to me that the seller did not buy this, or buy it for more than $5, at an estate sale or something similar. Had the seller known it was worth more than $100, would he not have started it higher or put a reserve on it? By doing neither of those, it means he was not the one who paid $1,045 for it only 5 months ago. Had he paid the $1,045 I'd say he was taking a big chance on getting anything near that price on this auction.

Both the June buyer (g***c) and the November seller (Yankee-carpetbaggers) have a feedback of 1421.

unbeldi

Quote from: TelePlay on November 05, 2016, 12:57:05 AM

Well, if it the prior sale were 5 years past, I might accept it as innocent. Families or friends of collectors don't value the stuff nearly as much as the collector, when they have to dispose of the belongings. But after only 5 months, it is just another example of him lying about the history of the set, in attempt to get his money back. But, IMHO, this would be far more successful, if he nicely explained the great history of this set, its use and features, instead of the rambling.

I would say, even the addition of the number card frame without mentioning the fact is an attempt of deception when it comes to a special set like this.  Because of his selling history, the seller is clearly some kind of collector, he is likely the previous buyer.   [PS:  Poplar1 just proved it, while I was still writing.]

poplar1

If Yankee-carpetbaggers gets new feedback for any item, his score will go from 1421 to 1422. It will be easy enough to see whether g***c's feedback number, shown as high bidder on the June auction, increases to 1422 at the same time.

TelePlay

It is the same person. Can be found but not easily.

First, went into all feedback for YCB. Found one where he was the buyer within the past month. Went to that seller's profile page and clicked on items for sale. Selected sold items. Went down to the first of October and opened up each sale and clicked on bids until I got the sold with YCB as the buyer. So, g***c is YCB.

The item I used was eBay item number 131971786287 for a genuine Bell strap wrench (how did we miss that 7 day auction that only got one bid for $30 plus $14 shipping) purchased by

g***c ( 1421 )     US $29.99     Oct-21-16 15:30:02 PDT

Since numbers change, today's eBay listing and bid page are attached.

PS: Terry, here's a way to update your handles list . . .   ::)

unbeldi

Quote from: Partyline4 on November 08, 2016, 06:52:04 AM
I've enjoyed reading about this set, and the detective work that went into discovering that this is the same fellow trying to get his money back  ;)

eBay will take about 13%, so he needs to make at least $1060....

Seems to be struggling to take off, unsurprisingly to the fact that the bidders probably know the true story behind it!

I'll say $1065

Despite having been a buyer himself, the seller still seems to claim that he knows almost nothing about the set.  He also has claimed (in an email) that he did not do ANYTHING to the set since acquiring it.

When knowledgeable and serious buyers participate, the true desire of them shows always only in the last 5 seconds of the auction.

Partyline4

Quote from: unbeldi on November 08, 2016, 09:04:31 AM
Despite having been a buyer himself, the seller still seems to claim that he knows almost nothing about the set.  He also has claimed (in an email) that he did not do ANYTHING to the set since acquiring it.

When knowledgeable and serious buyers participate, the true desire of them shows always only in the last 5 seconds of the auction.

But I wonder how many of those knowledgeable and serious buyers DON'T know what's going on here? I find it harder to give a liar his money back, than someone that tells the truth. That's just me! If those buyers know the true story, I find it hard to believe this guy to get all of his money back. I've been wrong a few times before, though.

I also wonder how many of those buyers are sitting right here on this forum?....

Doug Rose

I've got a little lost on this thread. The assumption is Yankee Carpet Baggers bought this for over 1K and now has it listed going for $78. Is this the concensus? I have dealt with him before and he has purchased from me. He is less than 1 hour away from me. I find this bizarre! I found him to be a straight up seller...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

So YCB bought this for over 1K and sold it for $600. It went up $400 in the last few seconds, but this does not add up. Something is not right....Doug
Kidphone