News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

European Wall Mount Metal Need Help IDing

Started by Doug Rose, April 03, 2015, 02:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I picked this up really cheap on eBay because I liked the manual set and, of course the great handset. I thought it was bakelite, but it is metal. Pardon the pics, but its rainy and this is the best light for today. Any idea on the manufacturer? I was going to sell, but it came out really nice, much better than the pics. All done with phone play today!..Thanks...Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261818424650
Kidphone

unbeldi

BTMC 2713A,

just like the sticker says.

Nice price.

The phone has a steel base, but the handset cradle and dial frame is an aluminum alloy.  Since yours has the older style handset, similar to the Bell System version E1, it's probably early 1930s.

I am not so sure that the handset actually belongs on this phone.

This is the wall mounted version of this phone :  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11803.0, except that that desk phone is already using an anti-sidetone circuit.

Doug Rose

Karl....who is the manufacturer and what country....thanks for your help...Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 03, 2015, 02:47:03 PM
Karl....who is the manufacturer and what country....thanks for your help...Doug

BTMC

Bell Telephone Manufacturing Company
Anvers, BE

The European division of Western Electric, post divestiture of 1925.

Doug Rose

thank you.....makes it even better...Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Matilo Telephones

That is a very nice buy! It is quite rare with this type of handset. (I have been looking for one with the older style handset for ages!!!! And some other collectors I know). The handset is indeed original.

It was designed by BTMC in Antwerp and is their 1927 model, originally with dial.

It may have been produced by another Standard Electric branch, as there were many throughout Europe. But Antwerp is your best bet.

The metal castings are made of a material called Zamac. Is that the same as aluminum alloy?

I have added an nice article on the development of BTMC telephones, in particular the successor to this model. The development of this particular type is discussed too. The article is from 1936 and written by BTMC engineers.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

unbeldi

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on April 03, 2015, 04:09:27 PM
That is a very nice buy! It is quite rare with this type of handset. (I have been looking for one with the older style handset for ages!!!! And some other collectors I know). The handset is indeed original.

It was designed by BTMC in Antwerp and is their 1926 model, originally with dial.

It may have been produced by another Standard Electric branch, as there were many throughout Europe. But Antwerp is your best bet.

The metal castings are made of a material called Zamac. Is that the same as aluminum alloy?

I have added an nice article on the development of BTMC telephones, in particular the successor to this model. The development of this particular type is discussed too. The article is from 1936 and written by BTMC engineers.

ZAMAC stands for zinc, aluminum, magnesium, and copper. It is a class name of a broad range of zinc alloys, which were standardized, I believe in the 1930s, and the designations are still used today.

Yes, I just researched BTMC handsets, and this is the 2288 type, which is original.

unbeldi

BTW, I doubt very seriously that they used a zinc alloy when they first made these. Zinc smelting didn't really reach large scale use until the 30s, and that when these standards were developed.  Western Electric didn't use Zinc housings until ca. 1935, Automatic Electric started out with phosphor bronze in the mid 1920s, and I don't think Europe was ahead of the US in this.  Siemens still used steel housings into the early 30s.

Matilo Telephones

Doug, do you have a picture of that daigram? Do you know what languages are used on it?
Groeten,

Arwin

Doug Rose

Arwin...I will open it up tomorrow...Doug
Kidphone

Matilo Telephones

Thanks. I'm very curious. :-)

By the way, I have a younger cousin of this phone, with the same handset. I'll post some pics in a seperate thread.
Groeten,

Arwin

Doug Rose

Arwin...I did not know what a nice phone I picked up. I was shocked when Karl told me it was a Bell Systems from Belgium. More than happy!! ...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Arwin....Here are some pics of the schematic....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Somebody installed that potentiometer as a volume control when they gutted the phone for use as some kind of audio device or extension.

This was indeed the sidetone ancestor of Arwin's BTMC 2724 type telephone.

It is the identical circuit of, for example, a 50AL desk stand or a B1 handset mounting with a 534A subscriber set, i.e. a 102-type telephone.  Just the placement of switches is slightly rearranged, which of course always follows the construction details of a set.