News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Imperial issues

Started by AET, December 31, 2009, 06:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

So Im working on the imperial. It has dial tone but won't dial out. When called I can hear who I'm talking to but they can't hear me. Any suggestions?
- Tom

bingster

Double check the 202 wiring diagram in the "Technical Stuff" forum to be sure it's wired properly.  If it is, then we can work from there.  If you have a #6 dial, the dial connections are identical, but they are laid out differently.
= DARRIN =

AET

Well, I looked it over and everything looks correct.
- Tom

bingster

Can you post a photo of the inside, showing the dial contacts?
= DARRIN =

AET

- Tom

HobieSport

Tom, when you get a chance, could you also please post a picture or two of the exterior of the Imperial? These phones are new to me and I'm just curious. :)
-Matt

AET

- Tom

LarryInMichigan

Tom,

I think that I see the problem.  It looks like wires are touching where they should not be.

Larry

AET

- Tom

LarryInMichigan

Move the red wires a bit away from the neighboring terminal.

AET

Ok, I did that. Still have the same problem.  Dial, it never goes away from dial tone, and you cannot hear me, but I can hear you.
- Tom

Phonesrfun

Tom:

What subset are you using?  I don't think you mentioned that.  Inside the subset, the line cord from the phone should be connected as follows:

Red to R
Gren to GN
Yellow to L2/Y
Black to BK (If it is an antisidetone subset)  The wire should be taped and stored if it is a sidetone subset, since a sidetone subset will not have a BK terminal.

-Bill
-Bill G

AET

There is no subset.  Haven't found one cheap enough yet.
- Tom

Phonesrfun

Tom.  That's your problem.  You need a subset.  The Imperial, just like any 102,202, or candlestick is only a half a phone.  It is the transmitter, receiver, hookswitch, and dial.  The subset contains the induction coil and condenser needed for the thing to work all the way.  Otherwise, if you hook the red and green wire that comes out of the line cord directly to the phone line, all you are doing is hooking the receiver only up to the line.

I am telling you this so you know, and not to make you feel bad in any way.  Nobody is born knowing these things.  There are several alternatives to going out and buying a subset that will make it work, but obviously the most authentic way is to get a subset.

-Cheers,

Bill Geurts
-Bill G

HobieSport

Quote from: Phonesrfun
There are several alternatives to going out and buying a subset that will make it work, but obviously the most authentic way is to get a subset.

Or some folks here know how to make a working subset from a WE 302, correct? Just an idea, Tom, but maybe you could get a really cheap 302, possibly with a little damage, so inexpensive, and dedicate it as a subset. Just a thought.
-Matt