News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lost on wiring for WE 302 ...oops 304 I meant!

Started by shortrackskater, January 31, 2015, 11:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortrackskater

I'm completely lost on wiring for my phone.
I'm following the "typical 302 4 wire ringer" diagram and confused. For example, on the left, it says green to L2 on coil but when you follow the wire, it lines up to red on the coil. I don't see any L2 on the coil itself. I see the L2 on a board next to the coil. And when I follow "yellow to L2 on coil," wire - it goes to L1.
Also, my line cord has a black wire and I don't see where that goes.
Mark J.

tallguy58

There are a bunch of photos on this site to help you with the wiring. The black lead can be taped off.
Cheers........Bill

shortrackskater

Quote from: shortrackskater on January 31, 2015, 11:48:06 PM
I'm following the "typical 302 4 wire ringer" diagram and confused. For example, on the left, it says green to L2 on coil but when you follow the wire, it lines up to red on the coil. I don't see any L2 on the coil itself. I see the L2 on a board next to the coil. And when I follow "yellow to L2 on coil," wire - it goes to L1.
Also, my line cord has a black wire and I don't see where that goes.

I see lots of pictures but my coil doesn't have L2, etc... None of the photos show a coil like mine. So I followed the really nice color wiring diagram, which seems closest to my phone and was stuck with my above questions. I've plugged the phone in and get nothing.
Mark J.

Phonesrfun

It sounds like you have a 304, not a 302. 

here is a link to the diagram for the 304/354 at the TCI library:

http://telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/wiring-diagrams/western-electric/doc_download/2172-300-series-desk-telephones-354-tl
-Bill G

zaphod01

Case for a 304 would be marked H3. I have a 304 configured for single-party use. It arrived configured as a party-line phone and I followed the wiring diagram in the BSP. I literally took every wire loose and started over. Works like a champ. Let me know if I can help.
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

zaphod01

I used C38.555 i2 apr58 - Telephone Sets 304 and 5304

http://tinyurl.com/oyyg3g7
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

dsk

Regarding ringer circuit, whats important is to get the coils sorted in the same direction, as batteries in a lamp or whatever. In this cicuit we need to put a suitable capacitor, where doesn't matter. The hole circuit ar then connected between the 2 lines in the direction you want, polarity does not matter here.

line -------------+ringer_coil1------capacitor--------+ringer_coil2---------line

dsk

poplar1

Quote from: zaphod01 on February 01, 2015, 05:03:41 AM
I used C38.555 i2 apr58 - Telephone Sets 304 and 5304

http://tinyurl.com/oyyg3g7

If you use this, wire it for "Individual or Bridged Station" as shown in Fig. 5 and Table B. You can leave off the yellow (and black) line cord leads; just connect red to L1 and green to L2. Note that this diagram is only for 304s or 354s.

Line cord inside telephone:
Red to L1 
Green to L2Y L2

Ringer:
Red to L1
Black to K
Slate (gray) to GND
Slate-red to GND

Ringing Capacitor:
Yellow to L2Y L2
Slate to K

EDIT: The terminal is marked "L2" and not "L2Y."
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

unbeldi

Here is a description of the differences and features of the 304 telephone,

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5720.msg126771#msg126771

including another circuit diagram that is less cumbersome as the official BSP drawings.

shortrackskater

Thank you everyone!
This makes sense since my phone has H3 on it and the induction coil is marked 101B.
I'll check out all the links and re-wire accordingly.
One more thing, I did get a replacement hang-up switch. I'm assuming it's the same for a 302 as a 304, I hope.
Mark J.

poplar1

Quote from: shortrackskater on February 01, 2015, 02:28:56 PM
Thank you everyone!
This makes sense since my phone has H3 on it and the induction coil is marked 101B.
One more thing, I did get a replacement hang-up switch. I'm assuming it's the same for a 302 as a 304, I hope.

Actually, it's not. The 302 hookswitch has only 4 wires (2 sets of make contacts) and the 304 hookswitch has 6 wires (3 sets of make contacts). However, if you have the 4-wire hookswitch, just connect the green line cord wire and the yellow capacitor wire to RR (instead of L2).

Or run a jumper wire to connect L2 to RR, to substitute for the missing green-red and slate-red hookswitch wires.

shortrackskater

Quote from: poplar1 on February 01, 2015, 02:36:20 PM
Quote from: shortrackskater on February 01, 2015, 02:28:56 PM
Thank you everyone!

Actually, it's not. The 302 hookswitch has only 4 wires (2 sets of make contacts) and the 304 hookswitch has 6 wires (3 sets of make contacts). However, if you have the 4-wire hookswitch, just connect the green line cord wire and the yellow capacitor wire to RR (instead of L2).

Or run a jumper wire to connect L2 to RR, to substitute for the missing green-red and slate-red hookswitch wires.

Ugh! That's what I get for not looking closely at this phone before buying parts. I did also buy a replacement dial but the old one was an H5 and so is the replacement.
Which is easier to do ... the jumper or the re-wiring for the hookswitch?
Thanks again!!!
Mark J.

poplar1

I would run the jumper wire since it makes it easier to follow the diagram. I only mentioned the other method in case you didn't have any jumper wire.

Electrically, both ways are the same.
RR on this induction coil is equivalent to L1 on the 101A induction coil in a 302.

shortrackskater

Mark J.