"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Model 500 repair

Started by KYdealsPR0, April 21, 2020, 10:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYdealsPR0

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and classic rotary phones in general.  I recently bought an ITT model 500 which had the rear cord cut.  I bought and installed a new cord which had four inner colors.  I taped off the black and matched the others up with where they were at previously.

The phone gets a dial tone and will dial with the proper pulses as far as I can tell.  It will not actually place the call, or ring/receive calls.

I know that my phone service supports rotary phones as I have another that works. 

A few pics are attached and others can be provided as needed. Any guidance to get this guy up-and-running?

Thanks!
J

LarryInMichigan

Your phone has a ringer which is designed to ring at a specific frequency (intended for party lines), so it might not be able to ring on your phone line.  You might be able to coax ringing out of it by moving the clapper up or down along shaft.  Obtaining a replacement straight line ringer for the phone should be easy to do.  They are plentiful.  As far as being unable to dial out, there could be several possible reasons for that.  If you push the hook switch quickly a few times, doe that break dial tone?

Larry

Dennis Markham

As Larry said, you have a "frequency ringer" in the phone.  It's probably not going to ring on today's phone line.  It doesn't look like your line cord (mounting cord) is connected properly.  Remove the yellow wire.  You don't need it.  The green wire should be on L1, along with the black wire from the ringer.  I don't know what that red "jumper wire" is from L1 to the corner terminal (forgot the number).  You don't need that jumper wire either.

I have some spare C4A ringers.  If you'd like one for the price of postage, send me a personal message.

~Dennis

Key2871

Yea back before i knew about those ringers, i tried with no success to get one to work. Ended up just replacing the ringer.
KEN

KYdealsPR0

To all--

Thanks for the help.  Dennis will be sending me a C4A ringer and at that time, I will also re-wire the line cord and report back. 

Again, thanks for your responses.

J

KYdealsPR0

Thanks to Dennis, I have installed a new C4A ringer.  Upon installation and rewiring, the phone will now ring when dialed.  There are two major issues that I have now identified:

1.  The phone will still not dial out, regardless of dialing the number as 7 digits, with the area code added, or with "1" and the area code added.  I am hearing the appropriate "click" sounds as I enter each digit, however it gives silence for about 5 seconds (perhaps a little more) then beeps and does not go through.  When you hang up for a solid second or two and pick the receiver back up, you get a dial tone again.

2.  When you dial the phone from another phone, it rings (sounds great, too) and you can hear the person on the other side loud and clear.  They cannot, however, hear you at all and when they speak, they hear their own voice echoed back.  Very strange.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!  I have included updated pics of the ringer and wiring.

Thanks

Key2871

Bell tinkle can set to avoid by setting the bias spring between the gongs to high.is your VOIP adapter working properly, set to accept dial pulses etc?
From what I see in the picture it looks as though the dial is connected properly. As for hearing the clicks in the receiver you shouldn't at least not loud. But again from what I can see the shunt leads are also connected properly. To R and GN on the network.

KEN

KYdealsPR0

I do have another rotary phone that works like a charm on the same hookup, so I don't believe it is an issue with my service.  I believe I can hear the pulses through the receiver on my other rotary as well.

Key2871

Ok, well I'm guessing you have the pulse contacts on the terminals F and RR?
And the two white wires on the R And GN terminals on the network?
Do you have a continuity tester? Or a volt ohm meter?
Because either can be used to test the pulse contacts to see they are working.
Let me know and we can go from there.
KEN