News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is the current value of (soft) Tenite Colored 500 sets

Started by Jim Stettler, May 02, 2016, 02:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

I am interested in opinions of value for early colored  (soft plastic) Tenite 500 sets. This includes value of cord variations ect.
Thanks,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

I paid WAY too much for mine about 6 years ago. At that time the Peking Red 302's were going north of $500.00. Canada North, Arctic North. I paid Way too much at that time. I got a great phone, but i see the same basic phone going for under $400.00. Either collecting is in a slump,economic depression, or losing collector interest I'm not sue. But in some cases I see the market going at 50% below prices of 5 years ago. Unless we build up the collector base, this may be a trend that will last awhile. I hope not, But I see the same in other hobbies I collect.
I was especially surprised to find that the restored market for Model trains is just not there t this time. I see the same trend in phones. Fin Lover, before he took up his music full time, used to sell restored phones for outrageous prices, but they were top of the line. I see some very nice examples selling for what I would say is barely over sellers cost. Extremely rare sets seem to still demand premium prices.
One example is Pourme's recent find. Whether it was a complete fluke, and he scored BIG time, or it's a trend, I'm not sure. I do know that to get my collection to where his find is, took me a few years and a few thousand dollars to get there. To obtain a find like that now, would have saved me 8 years of hard work.
Recently I restored a Marx Army Supply Train Locomotive, which included a complete restoration including the electric motor. The original cost to me was about $25.00, Then I put about $5.00 worth of parts and pain, labor not included. I put a reserve, to cover my cost ONLY. Highest bid was under $7.00. Yet, USED un-restored motors sell for North of $15.00.
Sorry to go on, but it bothers me that collectors don't respect ones hard work.
I've added a photo of 4 of the locomotives I've recently restored,No way will I let a 70 year old restored train go for $7.00.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

19and41

Handsome Engines.  Old radios sometimes go low after restoration too, but because some restorers don't come up to the meticulous work that the well heeled collectors desire.  Your engines look pristine.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

podor

I'm still pretty new to collecting, but I would have to agree that the more rare phone prices are down. However, just about every generic WE phone on eBay is listed for way more than they are worth.

Dan/Panther

podor;
many go unsold, or relisted and sell for a more reasonable price.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

unbeldi

HarrySmith

There is a topic on here that shows results of recent auctions for color 500's.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"