News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What kind of #2?

Started by Nilsog, June 09, 2012, 12:24:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilsog

I've seen several different versions of the #2 dial, but I have no idea what mine is because it has no fingerstop or stamping. Can anyone tell me how to tell which kind it is? I'm also in need of a number plate and fingerstop, if anyone could help me find a source other than the ridiculously priced OPW.

Ken

Doug Rose

Ken....it is a converted #2. My guess is you will find 4H stamped on the back. A lot of #2s were converted to #4s in their lifetime. Get a #2 fiingerstop and its easy to convert it back. Much harder to find a #2 finger stop though. There are good repro #2 finger stops out there.....nice dial....Doug
Kidphone

Nilsog

I thought that #4s had the finger stops on the inside, therefore would require the notched number plate. I've used #4s before and I know the stamping you're talking about, this does not have it. Are you sure it's a number 4?
Ken

wds

I doubt if this is/was a #4.  The number plate is not notched.  Check with Steve Hilz on the fingerstop, but I see repro's on Ebay all the time that would work just fine.  Since it has the number and letters, it's a 2ab.  This is the Type 4 (last style) #2AB dial with patent dates on back of case.  Notice progression in governor case with an adjustment notch in one adjustment slot.
Dave

Nilsog

I was thinking it was a 2AB, the reason I wanted to know was so I could get the appropriately stamped fingerstop. Steve Hilz was going to be my next stop once I found out. Thanks!
Ken

wds

Here's a picture of the earlier #2 without the notch in the Governor, and a picture of what your Governor probably looks like.
Dave

Nilsog

That's what I have, the notched one. Good call.
Ken

poplar1

It's definitely NOT originally a 2A since it is stamped Y BK BB R.  (2A would be Y BK BB W) 2H would have a W terminal in the part cut off in the picture, next to the governor.  Can you take a picture of the whole back?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

Unfortunately this picture isn't of my dial, but a picture I copies from the internet.  Here's a slightly better picture.
Here's a link to the website that explains some of the differences between the #2 dials.

http://www.phonemandave.net/westernelectric3.htm
Dave

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on June 10, 2012, 10:48:43 AM
It's definitely NOT originally a 2A since it is stamped Y BK BB R.  (2A would be Y BK BB W) 2H would have a W terminal in the part cut off in the picture, next to the governor.  Can you take a picture of the whole back?

In the second picture, the one which shows part of a base plate on the far right, you can see an upside down "W" stamped into the dial just above and to the right of the brass screw. The sequence seems to be BK BB W, if this is a photo of the dial in question. The "Y" is a bit hard to see in this picture but the "M" or upside down "W" is definitely there.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7114.0;attach=37245

wds

I don't have that dial or phone anymore and this is the only picture.  It's stamped "W".  Dial came with a #51 c/s

R(?) BK BB W
Dave

wds

I take that back.  I went through my box of parts, and I still have that dial, and another one.  Both are Y BK BB W.  One dial has the patent dates on the back (pictured) and the other one has the patent dates on the side.  The second dial is a 2AA
Dave

poplar1

I would like to see picture of back of Ken's dial, but we know for sure that it was not a 2A because 2A does not have R terminal. I'm guessing his is a 2H and will have the W terminal attached to the contact pileup as seen on 4H dials (and very early 5H dials).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Nilsog on June 10, 2012, 09:50:28 AM
I thought that #4s had the finger stops on the inside, therefore would require the notched number plate. I've used #4s before and I know the stamping you're talking about, this does not have it. Are you sure it's a number 4?
Agreed....I totally missed the unnotched plate. It was early  ??? A real nice dial. Plate alone is worth a nice piece of change. Sorry for the bad information...Doug
Kidphone

Nilsog

Here is a photo of the back showing all the terminal connections.

Quote from: Doug RosePlate alone is worth a nice piece of change.

Would be, if it weren't for this. That's why I was asking if anyone knew where I could get another plate other than OPW. I'm running out of people to email, Steve Hilz is a no, along with the source he gave me. Looks like OPW might be making some money off me...
Ken