News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Who made this phone ?

Started by Dan/Panther, March 10, 2009, 02:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Can anyone venture a guess as to who made this phone, ITT, Stromberg, Kellogg ?
It's hard wired.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

benhutcherson

If I'm not mistaken, the bright orange was a Stromberg-Carlson specialty.

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

I just picked one up that is very similar.  When I got it I couldn't find any maker's mark on the phone either.  There were some dates.  A close examination did show faint inked letters on the bottom......... S C 500.  Dates inside from 1970. 

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
It's bright Orange.
How does it stack up to WE. All WE parts will fit into it won't it. You can tell where this is going.
Mind me asking what it cost you. This Gem was well over $50.00, a lime green went for over a $100.00 recently.

D/P

Dennis Markham

Dan I recently bought mine off eBay.  Here is the link:

http://tinyurl.com/cqebvk ( dead link 03-14-21 )

Those orange and lime green sets seem to ALWAYS go high.  I got this at a relatively good price @ $32 plus shipping.  A couple of years ago one of my sisters asked me to watch for one in Lime Green but she put a limit on the price.  They almost always went in the $75 - $100 range.

I think it is comparable to the later W.E. phones.  The dials are the later ones with plastic gears but so were the Westerns in 1970.  This one is in pretty good shape.  The mounting cord does have spade tips despite the fact that it's the flat silver cordage.

The parts are pretty much interchangeable.  Note on the bottom that it reads SLC4A1.  The numeral 1 is extra, but marked the same as the Western Electric ringers of this time (C4A).

I always think Western Electric is better but in reality for a phone from this time period I think it's probably a wash.   Western Electric may have made one in this color but the only ones I ever see are Stromberg Carlson.

Oops...I just noticed the photos and information from the listing have been removed.  But I paid $32 plus $11 for shipping.

Dan/Panther

Yeah, that's the ticket. I paid, $31.00, and $10.00 shipping....
D/P

Bite me!

HobieSport

D/P; Orange and Green phones eh?  Is someone gearing up for St. Patricks Day? ;)

Dennis Markham

But you got a matching line cord!

McHeath

That phone came from Altadena California at some point in it's life, that's a nice area, up by Pasadena on the hillside.

Dennis Markham

Here is a mate for the orange 500.  The price is right (as of now).  It even has a plastic back plate added to allow it to be hung on the wall jack.

http://tinyurl.com/c6xq42