News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Princess phone transformer

Started by Dan, April 08, 2009, 08:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I have a  WE original  2012C transformer and white princess 702B. The princess has a modular plug retrofitted (gr, red, yellow,blk). All works well. I am trying to get it to light. I have looked on Dennis' site for help. Can you take a  modular cord with 4 lines and  strip it and hook the black and yellow to the transformer and plug the modular end  into a splitter (two line modular plug) and plug the line cord of the princess into the other side of the splitter ? I tried this and didn't get a light. (of course I did plug in the transformer)

I guess this would be a good topic for the technical reference library. Photos would be much appreciated in leau of schematics, since I know tip and ring for line and black and yellow for transformer.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Dan, there should be a white lead too.  All of the Princess phones I have worked on have at least five conductors.  Some have a 6th (blue).  It should be Red, Green, Black, White & Yellow.  I can look and see if I have any without the white.  You are correct, yellow/black to the transformer.  On the end of the mounting cord I attach a modular plug adapter that I buy from Phoneco.  Inside that adapter I attach obviously red to red, green to green, black to black and white & yellow to yellow.  That is the 5 conductor mounting cord.

Look closely at your line cord and see if someone didn't snip off a white wire for some reason.

Dan

Dennis , it only has 4 wires , the red and green go to L2 and L1 respectively, while the yellow goes to G  I believe and the black goes to parts unknown under the dial(these things are harder to work on than 500's!). I have one of those "biscuit jacks'--rectangle little boxes to turn your line cord into a modular connection--it has 6 colored wire connections inside. The line is already modular so do I plug it into the jack and then unhook the wires inside the box and hook them to the transformer?

I don't know how to basically couple it all together.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

I don't have one hooked up to my Princess, but the Princess my Mom had when i was  kid, had a Wall Wart transformer. 24Volts A.C.. I've got the actual transformer from our phone, but I can't find it.
It's about 2" square, and a beige color if I recall. Two wires that's it.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Dan, that's the second time today that I've read the term "biscuit jack".  One of the guys on the ATCA/TCI list mentioned one. I've never seen one.  I just finished putting two Princess phones together this week.  Both had 5 conductor wires.  If you'd like me to track them down for you it's no problem.  Is your model a 702B?  I made some hand written diagrams as I took them apart for cleaning.  I know the white wire connects to the lamp.  I use a 2012C transformer too.  It has two screws for attaching the green/black wire.  I have some cords with spade tips on one end and a modular plug on the other.

The black and yellow wire go to the transformer.  The opposite end (modular plug) goes to the splitter--on the side with two openings.  The phone plugs into the other.  Then on the output side a line cord goes to the wall.

Perhaps the wire wire of the mounting cord does nothing.  I'll reply here where those wires connect on the 702B that I just worked on.  If it's the 701B (non-ringer) let me know, it MAY be different.

Dan

Dennis,
it's a 702B.

here is the biscuit jack

http://tinyurl.com/ddll6v
I have six wire jacks and 4 wire ones, this is a four. These are a lot cheaper than spending $4-5 each @ Lowes or home deppot.
Hopefully we can get this lady lit up! Thanks , I'll wait for your reply.

Dennis Markham

Dan, I just checked 8 or 10 of my Princess phones.  All have at least 5 conductor mounting cords.  A couple have the 6 conductor cords with an aqua colored wire.  I haven't got them connected so I'm not sure where the aqua blue wire connects.

Here's what I have for the 5 conductor cord:

Red - L2
Green - L1
Yellow - G
White - Terminal 3 (Lamp)
Black - Terminal 4 (Lamp)

Again, I connected the yellow and white together in the plug so perhaps you can strap terminal 3 and 4 to make it light.

bingster

Terminals 3 and 4 are both sides of the lamp.  Strapping them should short the lamp out.  It doesn't matter what wires you use for powering the lamp (so long as you don't use red and green (and they should be black and white, as Dennis mentioned)), but you want to make sure one of the wires you use is connected to #3 and the other to #4.  If you're still having problems, you might have a bad bulb (very common) or a bad transformer (also rather common). 
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Thanks Bingster for saving my keister on that one.

Dan

Thanks, I'll try to locate a six wire modular cord I can slice open to at least wire it like you did.
So, in summary, follow the wall cord off the phone. Put the red and green and yellow into the biscuit jack. Leave the white and black unhooked. connect them to the transformer. Plug it in. Light?!

Thanks for your effort and patience, princesses' are different animals to me.

bingster

When you connect the red, yellow and green inside the jack, the green and yellow are both connected together under the green jack terminal (according to the diagrams).

Is "biscuit" another term for "modular?"  Or is there some difference from a standard jack?
= DARRIN =

Dan

I heard a british guy call a modular jack a biscuit jack because it was shaped like a little biscuit, or "cookie" as we yanks call them. I've heard them called both.

Thanks for the jack info.

Dan/Panther

I bought what I thought were standard modular wall jacks at our local swap meet, when I got them home I found out they were 6 conductor , and the standard modular plug wouldn't fit. I had to remove the outer two pins to get the standard plug to go into the jack.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

That may be a common terminology (biscuit jack) but I had never heard it and then on the same day I heard it from two different places.

Bingster, I changed my plug wires on the Princess moving the yellow lead to be connected in the plug with the green.  It didn't seem to make a difference from where I had it (as far as bulb brightness or clarity on the line) but now I know it's right.  Thanks.

By the way, bulbs for those lamps are readily available on eBay relatively cheap.  They are 6.3 volt bulbs.  There are two styles for the Princess...a wedge and a screw type.  The mushroom phones also have a bayonet style base.  I just bought a  box of ten for about $3.50 plus a couple of bucks for shipping.

I forget the numbers now, 44, 46, something like that.  I'll get the info and post it for those that may be interested.

Dan

Since my current 4 wire wall cord works great, could i just use an additional cord (I don't have any six wire wall cords like you have Dennis and couldn't find any for sale)and just hook two wires to the light inside the phone and then hook those to the transformer and plug it all in and get light? Just wondering since I don't want to fry the only princess bulb I currently have.