News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Princess phone transformer

Started by Dan, April 08, 2009, 08:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

Absolutely.  That's actually similar to what I did when I first got my Princess.  I took a standard wall transformer, cut the plug off, and hooked the two wires up inside the phone just to check out the light.  I had two wires coming out the back of the phone until I replaced the spades on the wall end of the mounting cord (they had all been cut off).

But I don't think you really need a six conductor cord.  I'd think you could use red and green for their obvious purpose, and then use the two other wires (whatever their color) for the light. 
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Dan, I'll have to defer that question to Bingster or someone else that knows more about the electrical aspect.  It sounds feasible to me but I was wrong about strapping the other two wires together.  You better wait for a more positive answer.

Dan

Thanks guys, I'll try this method tonight after work, happy easter, good friday, and passover to all out there!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan

Wow, after doing all this, my bulb is bad. I'm off to radio shack (no patience to wait on ebay). I'll keep you posted.  :D
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan

Props to Dennis and Bingster. You can separately run a second line off the bulb and out the back of the princess where the wall cord exits . It lights great, the dimmer switch works, all is fine! Thanks again. Radio shack sells the bulbs part# 2721126 $1.79 a two pack.

bingster

They're pretty nifty all lit up, huh?  Glad you got yours to light, Dan. :)
= DARRIN =

Dan

I have new found respect for them all lit up. Now I want a mushroom phone even worse ::)

Dennis Markham

You're welcome Dan, I don't know how much I contributed to your phone working right but thanks.  I like the way those phones light up.  The Trimlines too.  And of course the mushroom phones as you said.  They're fun to have and still some good buys on them on eBay.  Rarely does anyone sell the transformer with them.  I always watch for the hardwired versions.

McHeath

Mine is in the bedroom and glows softly at night, it's pretty hipster.  8) Of course the cell phone glows as well, but it's not nearly the same. :(