News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 215 (D8), 213 (G3), 1151R (151R)

Started by poplar1, March 23, 2020, 12:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

The 215 hand telephone set (D8 handset mounting + cords + optional dial), 213 hand telephone set, hanging type (G3 mounting), and 1151R desk stand (151R) all have at least one common use: to allow two or more hand telephone sets or desk stands to be used with one anti-sidetone (AST) subset (684A, 634A, etc.).

Notwithstanding the greater quantity of D8s reported having a switchhook latch for party lines (to determine if there is conversation, dial pulses, or incoming ring for another party before use), in my opinion the D8 was originally designed for sharing a single AST subset.
All 3 of the above sets have BSPs referring to that use.

With sidetone subsets (295A, 334A, 534A, 584A, etc.), only one subset was required per residence, even if there were multiple 102s, 20ALs, 50ALs, etc. in the residence. The subset was to be installed where the ringer could be heard all over the house, usually in the hall.
The telephones were installed where most convenient for the customer, so long as there was enough light for dialing (for dial sets), no danger of tripping over the cord, no danger of the phone falling to the floor, etc. Triple wire  (Tip, Ring, and ground) went from the protector to the subset, and triple inside wire went from the subset to the hand tel. sets or desk stands (Red, Green, and Yellow from the connecting block or jack on the wall to R, GN and Y-L2 in the subset).

When the anti-sidetone circuit was introduced (circa 1930), one subset was no longer sufficient. If two 202s, for example, were connected to the same AST subset, the red and black handset wires of one 202 would be bridged (connected together) with the red and black handset wires of the other 202. Thus, if you were using the phone in the living room, the transmitter of the on-hook 202 in the other room would pick up any noise in that room, and both the caller in the living room and the called party would hear that unwanted noise.

The 215 (as furnished), 213 (modified), and 1151R (modified) opened one side of the transmitter to eliminate this problem whenever one AST subset was connected to two or more telephones.

Now, the D8 215 is not listed in the 1931 BSPs, but does appear in the 1936 version. No newly manufactured D1s have been reported later than 1939. Perhaps the D8 was also manufacture discontinued at about the same time -- in any case, not a long run. Even so, not many D8s have been reported here -- and most of those have been modified (probably in the local WE distributing house repair shops) with switchhook latch.

So it seems likely that on new installations, or upgrades from sidetone to anti-sidetone at a residence or business, the usual practice was to install one subset per 202. In fact, that might have been easier for the installer/repairman than having to replace the triple (3-conductor) inside wire with quad (4-conductor).

(As a side note: my grandmother replaced the 354 in the cold back hall with a 500 in the dining room in late 1958 or early 1959. They extended inside wire from the 354 location and used 3-conductor 19-gauge wire -- even though a portable Princess would have required
4-conductor unless each location had its own 2012A transformer).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

Quote from: poplar1 on March 23, 2020, 12:14:53 PM

Now, the D8 215 is not listed in the 1931 BSPs, but does appear in the 1936 version.

Thanks for the interesting research summary David!

It would help to list the BSP numbers with issue numbers and dates to help us find more reading material.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jack Ryan

Quote from: poplar1 on March 23, 2020, 12:14:53 PM
Notwithstanding the greater quantity of D8s reported having a switchhook latch for party lines (to determine if there is conversation, dial pulses, or incoming ring for another party before use), in my opinion the D8 was originally designed for sharing a single AST subset.

I'm not sure why you feel the need for justification.

I did not report the number of D8s in each service, I reported what I had seen and said why that was probably the case. The D8 is just a handset mounting; it can be used in different services depending on the subset and configuration. The fact that all the BSPs you have found refer to one service just means that you have not found all the documentation that existed.

I have no objection to you writing a blog but it is not necessary to make a swipe. It would, however, be better to cite references, not just infer their existence.

The consensus after the previous conversation was that the D8 was normally used as part of a 215 telephone set. The D8-A9532 was a different handset mounting (a D8 with a hook switch) but it was still marked D8 on the rear. It was not part of a 215 telephone set.

Jack

poplar1

213 (G3 handset mounting):
ADDENDUM C63.323, Issue A, 6-1-37,N.Y.Tel.Co.Manh., Hand Telephone Set Connections, Common Battery
Fig. 7 - 213 Type Telephone Set Rewired

This addendum supplements Section C63.323, Issue A
                   and covers the connections for 213 Type Hand Telephone
                   Sets, rewired for use where more than one telephone instru-
                   meant is to be connected to a single anti-sidetone sub-
                   scriber set.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
151R:
Section C63.373, Issue 2, 3-1-37, AT&T Standard, Desk Stand Connections, Common Battery

Fig. 6 - 151R Desk Stand Rewired
            Note: Use Fig. 6 when more than one desk stand is connected to a single anti-sidetone subset

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.