News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ring-Ring-Ring!

Started by Babybearjs, March 30, 2020, 07:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

well, with this stay at home situation.... I'm finding myself having to start to go through my phones and make adjustments... came across this odd bell and decided to take it apart to see what made it tick.... who would have thought to use a chrome ball bearing for a hammer... very odd design.... one of ITT last a guess... has anyone ever had one of these? it even has holes for the buzzer mounting! so.... I added a buzzer!
John

rdelius

I never liked those late ITT ringers. I replaced them with the old style ones.

Key2871

Yup, me too. Couldn't understand why they came out with those compact ringers..
Want to save a quarter of a cent in plastic?
The tooling alone would have eaten that up in a hurry.
KEN

Babybearjs

I'm surprised at the size of the coil... you'd think it would burn up its so small! and the armature is loose too! when I took the coil out, I pulled the armature and discovered it was a pileup of plates, all loose. but had a rivet hole, had they used it!
John

twocvbloke

My two Geemarc-made GPO-style phones (746 "Mayfair" and 782 "Directline" phone) both have this style of ringer, not made by Cortelco of course, but they're certainly unusual, and my Cortelco 2554 has the single-gong version too, they don't have the same ring to them as the original ones with a hinged clapper, but they work at least... :)

Can't recall if my ITT/Cortelco/Alcatel 1A2 type phone has one too or not, been a while since I played with that phone...

Babybearjs

anything to save a buck!, or as you guys say un the UK, a quid....
John

twocvbloke

Yep, penny-pinching is another one...

dsk

I am actually impressed that someone got the idea to make such simple ringer, I  have one, I do not like it but surprisingly enough it rings, but with a slightly different (stange) sound.

dsk