News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anybody else....

Started by Tonyrotary, August 03, 2010, 01:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyrotary

do this? Even though I have three good ol' rotaries hooked up, if the phone rings I find myself getting up and grabbing the cordless due to the fact of its caller ID. I can be using the computer, the phone rings, and instead of using the 302 sitting right there, I have to see who's calling and get up and grab the cordless. Luckily in the bedroom I hooked up a caller ID next to the princess phone so the wife or I can see who's calling while in the bedroom.

Guess I need to put a caller ID next to the 302. I think the 302 is getting sad seeing me going for the cordless all the time. :'( It's probably thinking hey buddy I go all through the trouble of ringing my geniune mechanical ringer and you get up and grab the cordless?....LOL

Its funny though because I grew up in an era of no caller ID. Cannot tell when I actually became dependent on it.

bingster

I guess I'm old-fashioned... when the phone rings, I just pick it up.  I have friends who would never think of doing that, though.  Funny how things change.
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

There are caller id gizmos you can get, they're fairly inexpensive:
http://tinyurl.com/2albd7a

Since my whole system is run through my cell network, and I keep the cell next to the rotary when I'm home, I just take a peak at the cell before I pick up the rotary. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

I have a few caller ID display boxes around the house.  Phoneco sells used ones for $5.  They also often show up at garage sales for $1.

Larry

Dan

I am the only guy I know who doesn't have caller ID. I pick up the phone. It burns my butt when I call my sister or a close family member who I KNOW is home with an important call and they don't answer.  (sorry I had to get this pet peeve off my chest...) ::)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

HarrySmith

You are not the only one, I do not have caller ID on any of my home phones and I do answer it ;D

Of course usually I am not at home once I hear who is calling ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

bellsystemproperty

I don't use caller id on any of my phones except the ip phones. That phone has a screen built into it, but I always answer the call.

The reason I dislike caller id is that it does create a dependency on it and it is unreliable. With certain voip providers, you can set your caller id to any name and number you want. Also, if someone is calling from an unrecognized number, like a payphone, the person may not answer, even if the other person really needs to talk to the person. Some people must think that if they answer from an unrecognized number the phone will explode.  ;D
C*NET # 794-5953 (KYLE)

Kenny C

not me i walk to the other end of the house just to answer the phone  ::) and the cordless is usualy right there ;D
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

gpo706

My stand alone BT caller id's dont work through the Pana 616, so they are branched off before the PBX with their own lines, (Its not a perfect solution, and more bloody cables but it works).
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Dennis Markham

No caller I.D. in this house either.  I do not have an answering OR a cordless phone.  I do have a cell phone that I use for just about everything.  It has all the bells and whistles if I need voice mail, caller I.D. etc.  If I'm home I answer the house phone.  If I'm not it will ring and ring.  I've tried to train my cat to answer the phone but so far no luck.

paul-f

Most of our phones are wired (surprise!).  We did add some cordless phones with CID to use with conference calls, as they have good speakerphone features.

We thought the CID would be a neat feature, but quickly found it gave incomplete or inaccurate info much of the time.  We don't believe it most of the time, but do use it occasionally to harvest the reported numbers from telemarketers so we can report them (FWIW).  ::)

Remembering the marketing hype that came out when CID was introduced -- it has been a huge failure.   :(
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

McHeath

We don't have caller ID either.  Got rid of it to save a few bucks on the phone bill some years ago.  It was very inaccurate, and often simply displayed "unavailable" even on local calls from friends and family.  But we did certainly get trained to it, and would only answer calls we recognized etc. 

Tonyrotary

The funny thing is that really the only reason I have caller ID is that it comes with the package. No extra charge. I remember when it first came out I did not get it as my thinking was, I'll always do what I usually do, just answer the phone. Somewhere over the past years I grew dependent on it. Guess its time to break the habit!

jsowers

I've never had caller ID or an answering machine or a trained cat. I just in the past year have been able to make a touch-tone call, having rotary-only service until it was discontinued. All my connected phones are still rotary. I also don't have a personal cell phone. I can afford all those things, but I choose not to have them and haven't missed them. I would rather spend my money on old phones.

I do have caller ID at work and it's great for ducking salespeople, but at home I rarely get telemarketing calls since I'm on the Do Not Call List and I still have dialup internet, so it's busy a lot in the evenings and on weekends.
Jonathan

rp2813

I must admit that I rely on Caller ID and have been doing so for a few years.  Back when I had a long commute and my time was valuable, I decided I wanted to know when someone was calling who had nothing better to do than kill time.  Now it's just a normal part of the incoming call routine.

I'm very happy with Caller ID.  It does a very good job at weeding out solicitors.  Even though we are on the Do Not Call List, that doesn't eliminate calls from entities with which we do business, or political and other fund raising groups.

I keep a stand-alone Caller ID unit near phones that don't have it built-in.  The thing I've really come to rely on is the announcement on my cordless phones.  I don't have to even look to see who's calling.  The synthesized female voice from the phone actually tells me.
Ralph