News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg Redbar not getting dial tone to Receiver

Started by Nick in Manitou, May 15, 2018, 03:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick in Manitou

Using a BK Precision 1045A, with the receiver to my ear, and the switch hook depressed, I hear nothing when I switch the 1045A on. I can get the unit to ring. If I have the switch hook released and the receiver to my ear when I turn the the 1045A on, I get a moment of dial tone and then silence in my ear and the ringer rings as though the switch hook were depressed.

I have replaced the handset cord and proven that I can get a dial tone to the receiver by using the receiver and handset cord combination on another Kellogg set using the same 1045A and the telephone works properly.

This unit is so clean on the inside that it looks unused...perhaps it IS unused BECAUSE it had an issue!

I can't get the unit to get a dial tone to the handset except for that brief moment when the 1045A is first switched on with the switch hook released.

Any suggestions as to what to try next?

Also, the shell on this phone has a push button on it, but it was not connected to anything when I received it. Any info on what it is intended for?

I am reviewing the Kellogg 1000 series handbook now, but nothing so far...

Thanks,
Nick

RB

LarryInMichigan

The button on the shell indicates that the shell was for a Select-O-Phone.  If the parts on the base are also for a Select-O-Phone, you will not be able to make the phone work on a standard phone line.  I do not recall how to tell if the parts are for a standard phone or a Select-O-Phone.

Larry

Nick in Manitou

RB,
I had looked at the switch hook switches and they appear to be fine, but I am not sure that I could tell if there was a subtle problem there.

Larry,
Thanks for the heads-up about the shell indicating that it might be a Select-O-Phone. I will see what I can learn about them. I did see in the Kellogg 1000 Series handbook that there are some that have a push-to-talk button, but I have not found a schematic for those yet. Was the push-to-talk button was only on the Select-O-Phone series?

Off to see what I can learn about Select-O-Phones!

Thanks,
Nick

rdelius

The ringer is not for a  select-o-phone. I have seen many of those kellogg sets with bad contacts in the handset handle

Nick in Manitou

I was able to successfully use the handset/cord combination with another Kellogg Redbar moments before trying it with this phone.

Anything else you can think of for me to try?  Perhaps I will find another receiver/cord combination and try that as well...

Nick

dsk

On the plug in modules, it should be some number or id, can you read them, and tell us?

dsk

Nick in Manitou

DSK,
Thank you for the link, it was helpful.

I have taken a photo that shows the code numbers on the components.  Maybe it will tell someone something...

dsk

On the plug in coil, (the shortest module) ery you able to read a number like 113A , 114A or something?
The other module should only contain 3 capacitors. 

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/wiring-diagrams/kellogg/1955-type-1000-telephones-redbar-k1000-tl/file

dsk

poplar1

In the third photo, it appears that the bare metal strap on top left (to the right of the handset cord terminals) is not fully seated. On manual sets, this strap takes the place of the plug-in dial cord.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

Is this what you are referring to? Circled in Red.
Also I noticed a Black wire disconnected. Circled in Yellow.

OOPS. Picture added
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

dsk

Is it 2 cords attached on the left side + 1 line cord on the right?

dsk

Nick in Manitou

Dsk,
I had not even noticed the identifiers on the tops of the coil and the condenser before. Yes, there is an identifier of 114A on the coil and 225 on the condenser. Yes, I had the old line cord disconnected, but still clamped to the phone when I took the first photos. The line cord was connected on the upper right.

Poplar1,
The jumper to the right of the handset cord terminals is securely seated in the holes for contacts 2 and 4. It has a triangular shape above the two vertical legs that fit into the connection block.

Harry,
I can't see your photo with circles, but when I took that photo I still had the original handset cord secured to the phone. The connectors were all tucked away so they couldn't make trouble, but perhaps that is what you saw?

I have attached photos that might make things clearer. (They certainly show the dust clearly!)
Does anyone know of a resource that might tell us what the ES 4171-1 code on the bottom of the unit might indicate?

Thanks for your time and assistance!
Nick

Nick in Manitou

I looked around and found a coil marked 113-A as it is indicated in Figure 1 of the schematic linked by DSK.

I put it into the phone and tested it with the BK 1045A tester and it worked!

The dial tone seems quiet, but it is there.  I will try another handset to see if there is a problem with the handset I am using or if the dial tone is quiet for some other reason. (I can't test the handset now due to other commitments, but I will try to get to it later in the day.)

Thanks!
Nick