Main Menu

European Phone Resembles an AE

Started by Doug Rose, May 22, 2020, 09:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Doug Rose on May 23, 2020, 08:47:10 AM
The "PAX handset" was an induction handset according to our Forum AE Experts.....AE Collector and Stub....Doug

The AE PAX handset has a DC receiver but I am not suggesting that the ATEA handset has a DC receiver.

The AE PAX handset is physically different from a conventional POTS handset to distinguish it. The PAX handset should not be used on the public network because it has low sensitivity (cheaper) transmitter and in the case of the AE handset, a less than optimal anti-sidetone circuit and balance network.

I believe the ATEA PAX handset was also electrically different from the standard POTS handset and was physically different so that they were not used for the wrong purpose.

Jack

dsk

I have another ATEA telephone with this handset but the tranmitter an receiver are capsules from Siemens typical for a Local battery telephone.   Here is a picture of the tranmitter still stuck in the bakelite. OB=LB (Local Battery)  If we look at the circuit, it is quite equal to the Siemens W48. The bridge circuit has a considerable leak of DC that may result in a LB transmitter when the line viltage is low.  Typical problem on 24V exchanges with long lines.
dsk
PS Yesterday I visited a fellow who has 2 of those phones, but not with that handset.   
He has many ATEA phones with that handset, and had never tought about any difference in the sound quality.  DS

dsk

If you really want to use it, and the transmitter is bad, then you could modify it by putting in a capacitor and change to a typical North American transmitter. The ones used in WE 500/2500 etc should fit. AE transmitters should aloso do the job.

Try the transmitter before you modify, if you have enough juice in your line it may be no need for thet capacitor. 
The capacitor will redesigne the circuit to be more equal to what AE used. 

dsk

LarryInMichigan

I have tried using a T1 transmitter and a known good typical German transmitter in this phone, but the sound from the transmitter was weak with both.  AE transmitters will definitely not fit.  I might try adding a capacitor as suggested, but I do not currently have any capacitors of that value here.

Thank You

Larry

dsk

A 1 uF will probably do it reasonably well, more than 2 will probably not be to any more help than a 2 uF.  The voltage rating should at least be equal to the on hook line voltage.  Another testing trick may be to ad a 9V battery in series with the phone to rise the current, but just for testing. 

dsk

Doug Rose

I received the phone this morning and it is in excellent condition, just a light clean. It is very heavy. The dial was really seized but it loosened with some Marvel Mystery Oil. I had a better dial plate but decided to leave the original with a little wear. It is a working phone with a nice ring.

Larry the transmitter cap is frozen on it really well. I decided to forgo a temper tantrum  8)  and I didn't go any further than the strap I use.

This is a very cool looking phone. I am shocked it flew under the radar.....Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

A shot of WD-40, and allow to soak in, is good for stuck caps.
@FABphones gave me that tip and it has worked very well for me.

Doug Rose

Quote from: tubaman on May 30, 2020, 04:37:46 AM
A shot of WD-40, and allow to soak in, is good for stuck caps.
@FABphones gave me that tip and it has worked very well for me.

thanks
Kidphone

Pourme

~

That phone has a great look....

Nice find!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Doug Rose

Quote from: Pourme on May 30, 2020, 06:12:05 PM
~

That phone has a great look....