News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 523 Peso (about $27 USD) WE 202

Started by markosjal, May 11, 2017, 07:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

So I just got this today. It had a single UGLY picture of this phone and was listed on  an auction page with several other old phones most of which I found uninteresting.
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-579030653-telefonos-antiguos-_JM

Today I got it! I really did expect a frozen dial and damaged cords from what I saw

Here are some pics . I first disconnected what appears to be a loop start button and rerouted cords more WE style. Not sure if these cords were ever replaced but I would say they are WE circa 1950s. Aside from dirty they are in incredibly great shape not stiff nor broken down. Base plate felt cover intact.

Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

markosjal

Update , if anyone interested , here is ALL the same parts of the WE set pictured earlier.  Unit pictured with Radio Shack ringer box circa 1980s.

Base had what seemed to be severe chipping/wear of a layer of paint, however another layer below it was fully exposed by buffing with toothpaste , removing what seemed the worn layer of paint and exposing a layer below it.

Having trouble getting paint to stick to Aluminum dial

Numbers and letters on dial are now acetate sticker.

Want to install AE Styleline Mini network. Do not want to gut my one and only styleline for it though.

Mark
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

19and41

That ringer might be a good one for outdoor use, But it might give you heart problems if you use it inside.  They are pretty loud.  Nice looking phone and nice price!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke