News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

VINTAGE-DIAL-WALL-PHONE-MADE-IN-GERMANY

Started by Doug Rose, March 29, 2020, 11:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I found this on the cheap on ebay, it was filthy. Cleaned up wonderfully. Mr Clean pad does wonders with a little Brasso. I put DT on the handset ...loud and clear. I cannot figure where L1 and L2 is as I have tried every combination. Any Ideas?....thanks...Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-DIAL-WALL-PHONE-MADE-IN-GERMANY-/303517381092?
Kidphone

monophone_lover

Doug,

I have a few of them in black and one in ivory (though i heard of brown and other colors floating around Europe)... but the added surepriese is that can be converted to a desk phone... i may be mistaken as i dont have the phone with me... but im sure it can

nice buy

Rob
Rob
ATCA # 4057

LarryInMichigan

I have one of those in ivory along with several other similar German phones, but unfortunately, none of them work with my Ooma phone service.  That W49 is convertible.  The cradle part can be rotated 180 deg so that it sticks up perpendicular to the base, and then you have a desk phone.

Larry

countryman

That's a Ti-Wa 49.
Ti=Tisch=desk
Wa=Wand=Wall ;-)
The cradle can be reversed to work both ways.
The a and b terminals will be your L1/L2.

If you remove the 2/W2 jumper the push button will act as a makeshift flash key (interrupt the circuit as long as it is pressed). Quite nice on some modern Pabx or VOIP routers.

Doug Rose

Great information on this. Yes, I would rather a desk set.. I wondered why the line cord would have come out on the top of the phone. Done for the day, I will try to wire it up correctly and rotate the cradle this week. It is in wonderful shape after the clean up.

It does have a few stress cracks, so I will be gentle.

Forum never ceases to amaze me in the knowledge you folks have....many thanks...Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

These are nice phones. You need to reverse the rest and the dial mount (and the dial in the mount) to turn it into a nice desk set.
:)

Doug Rose

Is there any release inside the phone or do I just spin the cradle 180 degrees. After all this work I certainly don't want to break it...thanks...Doug
Kidphone

RB

Doug, you are sooo fortunate to keep finding nice phones for a great price!
That is a keeper for sure, congrats! ;)

Doug Rose

Thanks RB, I plan to make it a desk phone tomorrow....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I do not recall how the cradle is rotated, but how to change it will probably become apparent by looking at the inside of the shell where the cradle is attached.

Larry

Doug Rose

Thanks Larry,I looked at pics of the inside, looks pretty straight forward....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

So easy...even I could do it! The benefits of WFH.

Thanks to everyone for your help on this. With the condition it was in, I NEVER expected it to look like this. I love the Green dial plate!...Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Got any pics of what you did? Just curious about how they did it. The Leich convertible was fairly easy, just looking for a comparison.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Harry....screws to the cradle, dial mount and dial were loosened and rotated 180 degrees. Took all of five minutes...if that. This is a very cool working telephone....Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

They are a great design, and that one has come out very nicely.
I suspect they are hard to get on your side of the pond so I think you've done well.
:)