News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial disassembly

Started by NYFED, February 08, 2009, 10:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYFED

OKAY....tonight, in a fit of what I thought was engineering curiosity and having a good mechanical base of understanding, I attempted (key word) to disassemble an AE #5 dial.  Well I got the fingerwheel removed, the governor  (?) and was working on the gears when I broke something.  Not a great loss (sorry to anyone offended by that statement) because I got the dial from a VERY broken phone I bought for parts.  Anyway, does anyone have disassembly instructions? This dial needed to be cleaned VERY badly, gears, springs...everything.  Is there a website or does anyone have instructions on how to disassemble a dial completely? Thanks.

BTW- in case anyone is shaking their head: yes, a newbie (or FNG, if you prefer) here!  ???

mienaichizu

hi there, welcome to the group, I don't know much about cleaning dials, our expers knows a lot

BDM

Go here
http://www.telephonecollectors.org/library/aeco/aeco.htm

Second from the bottom. Dial diagrams. BTW, our member "Tip&Ring" knows the AE dials well.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

You mentioned that it is an "AE #5".  Are you sure it is not a Western Electric #5.  I have not seen AE dials marked #5.  But I haven't seen everything.  If it's a W.E. dial I can put it back together correctly for you.  It may be difficult to do via e-mail but we can give it a shot.  How about a photo of the dial (pieces)?

TIPandRING

NYFED

Dennis- Yes you're right- it may not be a #5. It may be made on Mars, for all I know! I feel like I am in WAY over my head with this stuff! (room breaks out into raucus laughter) Here are some pics. Anyone wishing to make a diagnosis (other than the choice I have made: Ebay for parts phone) feel free to do so. I THOUGHT I could disassemble it using common sense (I might have a shotage here). The green mat in the photos is what I use to diassemble my gun collection. Yes, this guy collects, disassembles and cleans firearms! LOL!  ::)

Dennis Markham

Thanks for the pictures.  It's an AE alright.  I'm afraid that is outside my jurisdiction.  I have tinkered with an occasional AE dial but never disassembled one completely.  There are guys that have and could put that back together for you so don't toss it in the trash.  I'm sure someone will step forward.

Were it a W.E. dial then I could help.

bingster

I took apart a WE #6 dial once, and it cured me of taking dials apart.  I didn't get it back together until several years later when I got another #6 and could use it as a guide.
= DARRIN =

BDM

Quote from: bingster on February 09, 2009, 12:36:07 AM
I took apart a WE #6 dial once, and it cured me of taking dials apart.  I didn't get it back together until several years later when I got another #6 and could use it as a guide.

LOL ;D Man, I've had those moments all too often :-X
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

NYFED

Bingster-
              I got that once when doing a brake job on a 86 Buick. But I HAD to get it all back together again, or no car!   I think the act of looking at, analyzing and figuring out how to take something apart is alot of fun. Sometimes, though, a little too much torque and you end up with a broken (in this case sheared) screw thingy. LOL   

TIPandRING

OH NO, OH NO YOU DIDN'T![/i][/u]

Yikes, you've gone a bit too far on this one. I'm not sure if I can step you thru it via online means...

It's not too good when your mainspring is unsprung like that. Gonna have to think about this one.... :o

NYFED

THANKS to everyone.  I am in the process of buying a new (old) dial on Ebay as we speak.  LOL! I am now in possession of some replacement parts for my new dial! At least my fingerwheel and number plate are in good shape and can be used on a mechanically sound dial. Thanks, again to all of you! 

Dan/Panther

NYFED;
If you really don't want to tackle the dial, I would gladly give it a try for you.
Let me know.
You are sure though that no parts are damaged or lost correct.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson